Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Utterly confused  (Read 5614 times)

ssmmdd

• Just don't ask...
Utterly confused
« on: December 27, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »

Hello, new member here, apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm shortly going to move into a ground floor flat of a new-ish (~5 year old) flat. The building is 3 floors and has as far as I'm aware 6 flats in total.

What's confusing me is that the BT Broadband / Exchange Checker says there's no fiber at all at the address that I'm moving to - in fact anyone on the street on that checker show as ADSL only.

On BT's website my address shows as ASDL only. But next door can get fibre. I don't understand how.

Can anyone help? I would be muchly appricative.

Thank you.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Utterly confused
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 01:11:08 PM »

Did you check by address or postcode? The most accurate would be if there is an existing phone line and you were able to check by number.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

ssmmdd

• Just don't ask...
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 01:34:51 PM »

I checked by address and post code. I don't have a number there yet, but going tonight with a phone so I can try 17070.

Both neighbours show as it being available, mine doesn't.

Have just noticed this on both neighbours on BT Exchange Checker: "Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:- single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.
FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered."

However, on mine it just says "FTTP is not available."

I don't understand why.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 01:36:52 PM by ssmmdd »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 01:57:33 PM »

Presumably the neighbours you are referring to are houses next door to the flats, rather than other flats in the same block?

For FTTP to be installed in blocks of flats Openreach require permission from the owner of the building to install the fibres to each flat, if this permission has not been granted then it can't be installed - best you check with the property management.

I'm a little confused by the following, the two bits in bold seem to contradict each other.

....in fact anyone on the street on that checker show as ADSL only.

On BT's website my address shows as ASDL only. But next door can get fibre. I don't understand how.

I take it you are using the BT Wholesale Checker, and then clicking address - do not use the postcode option. Then just enter a postcode and press submit and it will give you a list of addresses for that postcode to choose from.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

ssmmdd

• Just don't ask...
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 02:09:29 PM »

Presumably the neighbours you are referring to are houses next door to the flats, rather than other flats in the same block?

For FTTP to be installed in blocks of flats Openreach require permission from the owner of the building to install the fibres to each flat, if this permission has not been granted then it can't be installed - best you check with the property management.

30 I believe is the house next to the flats. 28 is a flat in the same building as myself.

I'm a little confused by the following, the two bits in bold seem to contradict each other.

I take it you are using the BT Wholesale Checker, and then clicking address - do not use the postcode option. Then just enter a postcode and press submit and it will give you a list of addresses for that postcode to choose from.
Nope, used bt.com as if I was making an order. However I didn't know about that link - I'll have a look now. Cheers!

Edit to add:

Just noticed that 27 and 25 also don't have Fibre - have they only installed it to one side of the building? O.o
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 03:13:25 PM by ssmmdd »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 03:50:05 PM »

Ronski's correct regarding FTTP, a wayleave has to be obtained from the landlord to cable any MDU (Multi-Dwelling Units). The wayleave covers each building, not each flat, so if your neighbours have it, you should be able to get it ??

Processes change constantly regarding MDU's and one of the latest used is to utilise 'Invisilight fibre' and run it to outside each premises, left terminated in a 'break-out box'.

Very surprising to see the SNM (Sales Note Marker) show as not available to you .... it may be an oversight during commissioning ??? Keep chasing it up. 

ssmmdd

• Just don't ask...
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 06:13:31 PM »

Ok, so I have news.

So the whole block doesn't have fibre. At all. Only ADSL.  :'(

Every single other building in the area has (or can get) FTTP.

I'm assuming for some reason during the build it just wasn't installed.  :rant:  I have no idea how to find out if this is the case.

I assume my only course of action is to moan at the housing association and beg for them to get Openreach to install it.

Mainly because in 2025, there will be no ADSL...

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 06:42:44 PM »

I'm wondering if your particular block wasn't captured within the planned-PON, whereby the others were ??

As with all things, there is a line drawn in the sand and that is where the job-pack would stop. We have very limited information to go on regarding lay-out, geography etc, so it can only ever be best-guess.

ssmmdd

• Just don't ask...
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 02:37:51 AM »

I found where the phone lines come in for the flats - all together, it's a mess of cables going into and coming out of a white box.

Would I be able to put a picture of it on here?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 08:28:26 AM »

I assume my only course of action is to moan at the housing association and beg for them to get Openreach to install it.

Mainly because in 2025, there will be no ADSL...

Come 2025 there will be something else in place of ADSL, Openreach for example could install G.Fast just outside your building, alternatively you might have to use 4G/5G.

Have a chat with your neighbours in the other flats, see what information you can get from them, and also get them to sign a letter to the housing association asking them to get FTTP installed. Are your phone lines overhead on poles or underground?

What is 4G reception like in your new flat? You can get some great deals, such as unlimited data from Three for £18 a month, you'll need to research that 4G will suit your usage though.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 10:16:48 AM »

I found where the phone lines come in for the flats - all together, it's a mess of cables going into and coming out of a white box.

Would I be able to put a picture of it on here?

Yes.

ssmmdd

• Just don't ask...
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 01:17:58 PM »

Come 2025 there will be something else in place of ADSL, Openreach for example could install G.Fast just outside your building, alternatively you might have to use 4G/5G.

Have a chat with your neighbours in the other flats, see what information you can get from them, and also get them to sign a letter to the housing association asking them to get FTTP installed. Are your phone lines overhead on poles or underground?

What is 4G reception like in your new flat? You can get some great deals, such as unlimited data from Three for £18 a month, you'll need to research that 4G will suit your usage though.
The 4G signal isn't great, and it has a bandwidth limit, that I would destroy in a week.

Yeah I'm gonna contact the housing association, but I'm 100% convinced they'll do nothing.

Underground. I'll get a picture the next time I'm at the flat.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 01:20:33 PM by ssmmdd »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 03:57:19 PM »

You must be going some to get through 1TB in a week  :no: and it's only a soft limit, I'm sure someone on TBB got through 3TB in a month without any issues on Three, but if the signals not good then it's irrelevant anyway.

I'm pretty sure you're right about the housing association, as you say they won't be interested.

ssmmdd

• Just don't ask...
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 11:16:32 PM »

Sorry for the delay. I can't attach the pictures here, they are too big.

So I've shoved them on my GDrive:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1PLxanMJY94S-lGw6Bwbr8Lbv9PoTQBkQ

I've got BT to get Openreach to investigate.

I've contacted Openreach myself via a form.

Have also moaned at the letting agency, but I haven't heard back yet.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 11:40:58 PM »

I'm not sure what the first image shows . . . It looks like someone has used tape to cap off an open soil-pipe!  :o

Images two and three show a standard "within premises" DP (distribution point), DP486. Perfectly normal, all neat and tidy.

Which is the serving telephony exchange for your flats?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2 3