Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Setting multiple TP-Link routers under one SSID  (Read 1397 times)

Windows10User

Setting multiple TP-Link routers under one SSID
« on: December 24, 2019, 09:02:34 PM »

Hi,

I'm trying to link all my TP-Link APs under one SSID. I have an Archer C50 V4 EU (Main Router), Archer C2 AC750 (AP) and an older WR841N V8 (AP).
The Archers are running the latest versions of their default firmware while the WR is running OpenWRT 18.04.
I'm trying to get them all to be under one SSID so they appear as one network. I've mostly done that and the networks show as one but the network doesn't allow connection to the internet for some reason. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to get the APs to work together and get the clients onto the internet.

The DHCP server on the C2 and WR router is disabled.

Edit: I think I've put this in the wrong forum area, mods/admins feel free to move it to the correct area.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 09:04:59 PM by Windows10User »
Zen FTTC/VDSL 40/10 - ECI Cab and HG612 modem

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
Re: Setting multiple TP-Link routers under one SSID
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 10:05:10 PM »

For starters you need to make sure your Wireless chipsets on your routers support 802.11s.

Then it's the case of following

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/mesh/start

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 05:21:26 AM »

Hi,

I'm trying to link all my TP-Link APs under one SSID. I have an Archer C50 V4 EU (Main Router), Archer C2 AC750 (AP) and an older WR841N V8 (AP).
The Archers are running the latest versions of their default firmware while the WR is running OpenWRT 18.04.
I'm trying to get them all to be under one SSID so they appear as one network. I've mostly done that and the networks show as one but the network doesn't allow connection to the internet for some reason. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to get the APs to work together and get the clients onto the internet.

The DHCP server on the C2 and WR router is disabled.

Edit: I think I've put this in the wrong forum area, mods/admins feel free to move it to the correct area.

It certainly sounds like you've done everything right so far.

Are they plugged into each other via the LAN ports not the WAN ports? Can you ping each router from a wired client on the LAN?

For starters you need to make sure your Wireless chipsets on your routers support 802.11s.

Then it's the case of following

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/mesh/start

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I do not think this is what they want, it seems like they are already connected to the LAN by wires so just setting the SSID to be the same on every decide should be enough.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 05:23:51 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 10:01:31 PM »

This is a similar setup to my own, by the sound of it. I have several WAPs which use several SSIDs matching on each WAP. They are connected wirefully to my main switch and from there wired into my router which provides internet access. I didn’t have to do anything at all to get them to see the internet, just plugged them in and no configuration was required.

Windows10User

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 01:39:40 PM »

It certainly sounds like you've done everything right so far.

Are they plugged into each other via the LAN ports not the WAN ports? Can you ping each router from a wired client on the LAN?

I do not think this is what they want, it seems like they are already connected to the LAN by wires so just setting the SSID to be the same on every decide should be enough.

The APs are connected via LAN and not the WAN ports. I can ping and access the router's web portal
Zen FTTC/VDSL 40/10 - ECI Cab and HG612 modem

anything