Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ethernet to WiFi Device?  (Read 1497 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Ethernet to WiFi Device?
« on: December 20, 2019, 02:17:57 PM »

I might be having a brain fart at the moment. But is there a device I could plug in to my network switch ethernet port upstairs that could boost the wifi signal?

I'm considering getting a tv for upstairs to watch some of the catch up services on. But I'd prefer to connect it via wifi. I have an network switch in the room next to it, and wondered if there is a wifi broadcast device I could plug in via ethernet and then the wifi signal would be stronger to the tv in the next room?

I've tried using the wifi directly from the router downstairs but it's not that stable, keeps dropping out, and the tv in my room doesn't seem to like it.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Ethernet to WiFi Device?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 02:48:30 PM »

Just a though, if you already have ethernet upstairs then get a TV with both ethernet and wi-fi then you can simply plugin the TV. All 3 of our smart TVs have ethernet as well as wi-fi.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »

I use a TP-Link TL-WR802N for a similar purpose. I have an old printer which doesn't support the up-to-date wireless encryption protocols and this can be configured as an access point.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

RTouris

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 06:33:15 PM »

You could use **any** device that can act as an access point; and by **any** I mean even range extenders (repeaters) that support AP mode. TP-Link has a variety of these and only recently I did the exact same thing using a TP-Link RE450 with great results in order to add 5Gh 1300mbps AC capabilities to an aging TD-W9980 that just wouldn't cut the 4k WiFi streaming..

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 11:01:31 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll check them out.

@broadstairs, the tv has wifi but with the router being downstairs the signal isn't that strong by the time it comes through the ceiling, it keeps cutting out. So I thought if I can bring a wifi signal closer then it might stand a better chance.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 01:49:47 PM »

Does it have an ethernet port?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 06:19:27 PM »

Does it have an ethernet port?

The TV? Yes.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 07:32:03 PM »

First choice would be an Ethernet connection if you can run a cable. I wasn't able to do that but (although many don't like them) I'm very successfully using homeplugs to give me Ethernet by the TV. I'm not seeing any adverse effects from them.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

anything