Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP Review Article: "Openreach Blocking Copper Broadband at UK New Build Sites"  (Read 2848 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Just saw that elsewhere, apparently OR agreed to install copper instead of fibre originally, seems there's some confusion somewhere.

Mind you if the builder built the house with a proper CAT6 cabled network, and a duct to the coms cupboard where the master socket would be it would be easy to fit copper or fibre.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

I believe the issue was that the builder was 'late to the party' (ie: had not noticed us about the new-builds they were developing), then took it upon themselves to install copper services within their builds.

When OR have then been asked to attend site at the 11th hour to provide service, copper feeds were initially agreed. It then transpires this was refused (maybe from a higher level ??), and FTTP was the only thing left on the table.

Regardless of the Copper/FTTP decisions, I think it's incredibly sloppy for the house-builder to have overlooked what is now being classed in political circles, as a utility.
It is offered FREE to install for the house-builders, so it's not a cost issue. Plus, FTTP speeds will be a massive selling point for them too, I'm guessing ??

Al-in-all, I think the buck stops with them, in this instance.  :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Absolutely agree it should be FTTP now, and in my opinion houses should have ethernet to each main room from a patch panel, having FTTP will certainly add something to the value.

Good to hear OR are standing their ground.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

Developers seem out of touch if they think its a bad thing to have no copper.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Who wants to buy a new property that is stuck on copper?

How much would it cost to upgrade copper to full fibre in the future to this building?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen

How much would it cost to upgrade copper to full fibre in the future to this building?

If they built it properly, with the required capability to upgrade to FTTP, very roughly £150 a unit.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

If they built it properly, with the required capability to upgrade to FTTP, very roughly £150 a unit.

Very optimistic of you to think they bothered to use conduits.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

niemand

• Kitizen

You've a point. While the law states buildings should be high-speed ready that is just 30 Mb/s so they could claim having copper there is adequate as sticking a G.fast node in the basement would provide for 500 Mb/s.

aesmith

• Kitizen

What do the home owners do for phones in these new build fibre-only developments, is the assumption that they won't want land lines?

j0hn

• Kitizen

They use VOIP over fibre. You can also use this with internal copper wiring and extensions throughout the home.

Pointless installing an additional copper line for voice that will be switched off in the next few years anyway. The fibre is enough.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

aesmith

• Kitizen

I'm aware of the technical solutions, but as far as I'm aware nobody is yet offering an IP voice solution suitable for non-technical end users.  Before we're "there" in this regard we really need mass market ISPs to be offering IP voice as a bolt-on option to their service, sending out pre-configured kit and supporting in the same way that they support the data service. 

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I can see this happening as quickly as all radio stations move to DAB!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

j0hn

• Kitizen

BT are the only major player that offer FTTP on the OpenReach network at present.

BT only sell FTTP with voice.
You connect your landline phone to the ONT (in older installations) or directly to the BT Hub in newer installations.

Nothing technical about it. I'm not talking about custom VOIP setups with 3rd party providers and your own kit.

It's really as simple as it is with a copper line.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM