Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Online vs high street  (Read 1125 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Online vs high street
« on: December 16, 2019, 07:47:33 PM »

There’s a temptation these days to pop into high street shops and find something you like, then go home and order it online, more cheaply.

Last week, Other Half shared a detailed Amazon list of specific pressies she might want.   That was just before the day I was going into town (to attend an alcohol fuelled reunion) and I knew a shop that I thought would sell one of them.   I was right.  It was slightly more expensive than Amazon but removed all ambiguity of delivery times, plus I got to chat with the assistant about the item to ensure it was right, and to support the local high street.

Is it just me who likes to buck the trend?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Online vs high street
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 07:54:57 PM »

I like to see and physically inspect an item before I make a purchase, if I have the opportunity to do so.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 08:08:00 PM »

If we don’t support the High Street it won’t survive. There are many times on line offers a better solution but when it’s marginal the high street offers many benifts. Jobs, environment and social.

Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 10:53:05 PM »

American Express run a ‘shop small’ scheme each December to encourage use of small businesses.

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/shop-small/

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 11:10:29 PM »

Trouble is, there are just so many factors conspiring against High St shops...

You can’t drive there as cars cause pollution, so they are non PC.

You can’t walk there in safety as the pavement is full of cyclists, avoiding driving.

You can’t do it by bicycle, as you can’t bring back big heavy items on a bicycle.

And even if you do manage to get there, you’ll struggle to find an ATM to get cash with which to pay.

And even if there’s an ATM, there won’t be an actual bank branch, so the shop won’t be able to deposit their takings.

Such is progress.   :(

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 09:26:27 AM »

7LM

When I was involved with the local authorities over a public/private partnership at least 20 years ago,there were three problems identified with the failing high st. Parking, parking and parking. That was before the proliferation of cyclists and the green issues !

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 07:28:52 PM »

People always use the free parking argument for why people in Sheffield prefer Meadowhell over the City Centre.

It always makes me laugh, as if you park slightly outside the City Centre you can still find free parking and would walk about the same distance you would in Meadowhell, its just people completely underestimate how far they end up walking in shopping malls.

For larger items obviously its an issue, but larger items would usually have a delivery option anyway.  Its not like you can fit all larger items in an average car.

Some people are just lazy, I carried my surround receiver on public transport and I have a disability in my hands.  I could have had it delivered, but I wanted it NOW.  Although I admit, if Amazon had the same warranty as Richer Sounds, it would have been a hard choice.

You can't really blame people for wanting to get the most for their money.  Although I do think when it comes to items like clothes, you probably end up wasting more money having to constantly return things than if you had just tried them on in a high street store.  But there is also the time constraints, not everyone wants to spend their precious free time in a store.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 08:41:49 PM »

Around here the cost of parking is not the issue.  It is simply the non-availability of it, no matter how much you are willing to pay.

We’ve had to spend a bit of time in London this past year, assisting an elderly relative.   We have no public transport so by preference we’d drive to the railway station and catch the train but the station car parks have been filling up lately, possibly as a result of the demise of subsidised rural bus services. About one time in three we have to abandon the plan to go by train when we get to the station as there are no spaces left and instead, drive the car all the way into London. :(

And don’t get me started on hospital parking.  The hours and hours people here spend cruising round in circles in the hospital car parks trying to get a space, all the while burning unnecessary fuel, plus all the wasted NHS resources from missed appointments when people are unable to park, simply because somebody in government thinks they can ‘discourage’ car use by failing to provide parking facilities. :'(

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 08:57:01 PM »

See, that's why I find it hard to be sympathetic in Sheffield, we have a ton of parking, some of it IS rather expensive - but better that than have none.

The train station is definitely a weak point though, especially compared to Nottingham that has a huge car park outside.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 09:33:02 PM »

The other problem with car parks is, of course, spaces that are too small.   I’ve never had a problem manoeuvring my car into tight spaces.   But I do have a problem returning to my car, to find I have picked up panel dents from adjacent vehicles that have whacked my car when opening their doors.   

It’s not always just carelessness, often there really is simply inadequate space for doors to open far enough for average people to get in or get out.  There’s quite a few car parks that I won’t use for that reason.   They’re still usually full though, mostly with cars that have lots of dents.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 01:29:44 PM »

If we don’t support the High Street it won’t survive. There are many times on line offers a better solution but when it’s marginal the high street offers many benifts. Jobs, environment and social.

i see this said a lot, but i am often left thinking to myself, and so what?
what argument is there for it to survive?

if online provides better prices and better convenience then surely that's all that matters?

jobs would still exists, just not in the low paid shop floor workers.

what environmental and social benefits are there to having physical brick stores?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 03:45:22 PM »

A few advantages...

Reduction of packaging waste, and more efficient transport.  I recently bought a bag of fuses, that I used to be able to pick up with my shopping in the supermarket, but no longer stocked.  They were dirt cheap but supplier's policy is free next day delivery and sure enough, I woke next morning to see a massive parcel force van reversing up my driveway.  Driver handed me a big heavy carton about the size of a shoe box.  It contained the tiny bag of fuses, together with piles of protective padding which I am not even sure was recyclable.

Socially...  I know of people for whom the only real social interaction they have is when they go shopping.  Taking that away from them may not be healthy.

Working conditions... I've never worked in an Amazon warehouse, but they have a pretty bad reputation as to how they treat warehouse staff.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 04:10:06 PM »

I still think the high street fulfils a big social gap. Many perhaps for the less fortunate it’s a place to have casual conversations and “a place to go” I’m not bothered that it might contain a proliferation of charity shops and coffee houses. I think it benefits the young and old. Perhaps less important for those in mid life.

I also like if possible to support local non chain business. It’s hard out there, again they are providing a focus.

All that said, I wouldn’t hesitate to use on line for specialty or expensive items. 

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 05:16:46 PM »

This new twist in the thread opens up what I regard as a middle ground, which is unmanned ‘automated’ checkouts.   So we still get the high street experience, but not necessary any interaction with another human being.

I’m sure others will disagree but I loathe the automated checkouts and resolutely refuse to use them.  Even when there’s a member of staff directing people to do so I simply refuse and insist they serve me at a till, else I just abandon the shopping basket and leave the shop.   These things are just so cold and (literally) inhuman, especially when they start barking aloud about unexpected items in bagging places, or whatever. :(

Repeat though, I do however predict, others will disagree, and they may be right and me wrong.  :)

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

i will always use the automated checkouts.
i don't want any interaction during the process. i'm in, get what i want, and out as quickly as possible.
it's not a social event for me.

same goes for petrol stations. where only some are self service and others require to go "in store" to pay, i'll wait in a queue for the self service even if the others are empty.
i'd rather queue in the comfort of my car than queue with people in the shop.
Pages: [1] 2

anything