Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Find my glasses  (Read 1681 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Find my glasses
« on: December 15, 2019, 10:01:31 PM »

My wife keeps losing things. I wonder if there is any technological way if locating them?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Find my glasses
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 10:14:12 PM »

You can get Bluetooth tracking tags, but probably a bit big for glasses.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 10:39:26 PM »

When I mislay something, and I have spent ages looking for it, one thing that I find usually does the trick is to sheepishly ask other half for help.  As often as not, without a second thought or even moving a muscle she’ll ask “is that it?”, pointing at a location in three dimensional space right in front of me.  And there it’ll be, where it had been all along, but invisible.

Failing that if, say, a tool  is irretrievably lost and I desperately want to find it, I simply buy a new one.  Within moments of getting back from B&Q, or hitting the ‘confirm purchase’ button on Amazon, the lost item will cease to be invisible and reappear.   ::)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 10:41:47 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 04:32:49 AM »

The other problem, as well as size, is battery life or recharging. Replacing batteries would clearly be way too much trouble.

I’m definitely going to look into Bluetooth tags, but presumably the oroblrm there is that if you are close enough to have activated the Bluetooth tag then you have already found the item you’re looking for anyway? Or am I misunderstanding?

One aspect of locating lost items is the ‘shout out/ring’ technique where the item lost is caused somehow to ring so it can be found. This indicates it is either in range of some global signal if worse is on some network and listening; or worse still the item is reporting its position back and that requires two way communication and battery life. The latter is by far the most useful as you definitely do not have to have found the item to find it.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 06:09:25 AM »

The tags I found weren't rechargable, which seems wasteful, but the do apparently last a year. Bluetooth has quite a good range so if you lost something at home or in the car then I presume a walk around would find it. I think other users on the system could also detect lost items and it reports back. I never bought any, just had a quick look, as one of the fitters keeps losing his torches - they are magnetic so can be left stuck to a truck.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 03:25:33 PM »

Amazon do a rechargeable bluetooth one "nonda iHere Key Finder", works with iphones quite well :fingers:
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 06:43:44 AM »

Just seen mention of the Tile Pro (2020), it has 400 ft range, a very loud ringer, and a replaceable CR2032 battery that lasts a year. If it's out of range the Tile community can help find it, but I doubt there's many members in remote places.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 09:51:56 PM »

I just saw a mention of the ‘Tile’ devices. That range might be enough, unless the item has been left outside.

I have discovered that a search for ‘item finder’ is one useful technique.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 09:57:32 PM by Weaver »