Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Line issues, just distance or something else?  (Read 4788 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Line issues, just distance or something else?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2020, 09:46:41 AM »

The OpenReach Oscillators (tone generators) only need connected at 1 end.
A probe (or wand if you like) can then simply be run against hundreds of pairs until the tone is heard.

The wonders of modern technology they can now request a tone be sent from the exchange via their smartphone apps without connecting the tone generator at all.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2020, 05:09:39 PM »

Technology has indeed made our job easier regarding testing.

Back in the day, we had to call the Exchange and a tech would assist from his test-desk, (imagine the stuff you see on old films where the operator pulls a switch-cord and plugs it in to a slot .... well, like that but with the addition of knobs, switches and dial's with which to apply certain conditions, or to test with).

Then came similar things like SALT (test) and 17070 ..... which would provide a low level of assistance ..... followed by HAWK Testers and associated Remote Units (RU). These were the kings in their day ... the RU was the size of a small country, but you could fit it anywhere in the node and access it from the other end to 'switch in' whatever it was you required to help with testing. Fantastic on long rural runs.

At the time, the Exchange test heads were being invested in and 'Fast Test' became a 'thang'. This was accessed by dialling it up and requesting the desired function using the touch-tones on the phone keypad ... the new king in town !!

Now (as j0hn mentions), it's all done by smart apps ..... far, far quicker and precise as it links automatically to your task and there is no human error with the input request.
It also allows remote testing of xDSL circuits (bandwidth, SNR, errors etc), as well as PSTN and all the associated elements you may need applying, as a faultsman.

But ...... none of the aforementioned systems can detect a split-pair as a one-shot test ... :-) 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2020, 05:22:33 PM »

If it is easily accessible, I would be very tempted to take a look within the junction box . . . where the aerial drop from the DP is split into the two lead-ins for the two properties.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Hokum

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2020, 08:55:38 AM »

Well apparently it isn't a split pair.

Below is the line stats from the engineers equipment.

Apparently the line goes Alu-CU-Alu and due to cable fill the line is just poor.  The engineer said there was a pair which could sync at 17Mbps but the line was suffering lots of CRC errors.

Looks like I`m just SOL.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2020, 06:01:49 PM »

Apparently the line goes Alu-CU-Alu and due to cable fill the line is just poor.  The engineer said there was a pair which could sync at 17Mbps but the line was suffering lots of CRC errors.

Looks like I`m just SOL.

:(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Hokum

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 01:56:58 PM »

Zen have admitted defeat, and say I can leave my contract when I like. I'll stay with them for the time being,  as I don't think  I can get anything better from any other provider.

:'(
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything