Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Travel advice  (Read 1474 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Travel advice
« on: December 11, 2019, 01:53:13 PM »

I was waiting for a train this morning when the tannoy announced...

The next train at platform 3 does not stop here.  Please stand back from the platform edge, and hold on to pushchairs and wheelchairs.

Sounds like bad advice to me.  What if there not enough of there’s not enough of them to go around? :o

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Travel advice
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 12:13:05 PM »

Sounds like Very good advice to Me  :)
I think you are saying ? If you had say someone in a wheel chair and a mum with a push chair, one person is enough to hold on to both.

When we did High speed testings of the APT train through Swindon at 150mph we set up dummy human figures on the platform as well as a lot of measuring equipment.
It's the shock wave from the front of the train and also important the suction effect when the end of the train  goes by that can suck you ( and any other object on free moving wheels !) towards the track.

Edit.. which station was it ?.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 12:15:29 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 01:16:47 PM »

I think you missed the joke...  ;D
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 01:48:58 PM »

Indeed. :)

Another tannoy announcement, later in that journey, asked me to ensure I took all my belongings with me. ::)

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 02:16:33 PM »

rail safety is no laughing matter!

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 11:09:54 AM »

What Joke. ?
Trains are good killing machines and should be treated with respect.

When you have worked doing tests on a live railway track in the dark of night and your 'Lookouts' have not done the there job and you look up to see a train seconds away from killing you and all your other work mates half a mile down the track, I had the thought to shine my torch  in the drivers face and that gave the desired reaction of blowing the trains horn and that warned my mates down the track to get off the track.
A train traveling at 125mph you only have a few seconds to react.

rail safety is no laughing matter!
+1
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 11:31:40 AM »

Ok, to spell it out, the message created a vision of a crowded platform, full of fit individuals travelling alone and with just one family group, with a child in a push chair.   Taken literally, the message might suggest that everybody should rush over and, for their own safety (not that of the child), gather around the push chair and hold on tight.

In my mind it’s comparable to the notices on London Underground by the escalators, stating that ‘dogs must be carried’, which I know many people find amusing.  What if you haven’t brought a dog, do you have to use the stairs?

Apologies however if, in this case, not everybody shares the amusement. :'(

PS:  an afterthought, the above joke aside, is it maybe insensitive of the railway company to assign equivalence between pushchairs and wheelchairs?   I’d think twice, as a bystander, before grabbing hold of somebody’s wheelchair if the user seemed competent and clearly did not need or want me to do so?   It might even backfire badly if, by interfering, I caused the wheelchair to deviate from the user’s intended path and into some other danger.

Edit: added ps.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 12:19:23 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 12:26:37 PM »

Warnings ! may contain upsetting images.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlhymln9nao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQm25nW6aZw

It's a good job the live rail (650v DC) is the furthest away from the platform in the first video.

flilot

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »

Apologies however if, in this case, not everybody shares the amusement. :'(

I do.  Sadly there seems to be a SOHF (sense of humour failure) on the Internet of late. ::)
I think many people have "that word beginning with B" fatigue, and have gone into overly serious ranty shouty mode.  ;)
Hopefully the Christmas spirit (hic!) will cheer them up again.
Carl

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 01:04:10 PM »

Bit off topic I know:

Like your "cabinet8" link, stat's & blog site, very tidy, well done.

Just a suggestion, perhaps you could extend the graphs horizontal tone range within DSLStats to cover the full available tone spectrum.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 01:18:18 PM »

I do.

Phew. :)

Bit off topic

Probably doing this thread a favour, going off topic. :D

anything