Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Going to Take a VM Service  (Read 3044 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Going to Take a VM Service
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 10:13:40 AM »

I have 350/35, no problems performance wise (now a faults been fixed) , it's just their telephone support which is not fit for purpose. I don't game but do stream a lot and that works perfectly.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 11:38:16 AM »

Hi

I might go for VM M200 for £30 a month and ditch FTTC. https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/compare?navelement=black_friday_2019_bbcompare

Yet another post here you say you've got a deal with PlusNet and staying with them and happy to do so for another 12 months on FTTC.  Can you even cancel PlusNet now without paying up the remaining 11 or so months of the contract?

Confused!

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 08:11:05 PM »

You may argue that those are only my own experience. When you say vm are much better, did you mean within the last 12 months they've improved a lot?
Apparently even the last year's ofcom report (Nov 2018 Source: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/147332/home-broadband-report-2018.pdf) shows that vm are one of if not the worst major ISP in terms of web loading speed, latency, upstream jitter(due to the much lower upload speeds) , packet loss, DNS resolution time and most of their packages are not as good as their competitors at online streaming.

The jitter is nothing to do with the upload speeds.

With that in mind I'll leave the rest of the discussion alone beyond to point out that VM offer 35 Mb upload while the vast majority of the Openreach network sits at up to 20.

Regardless VM's performance is objectively better even if a specific use case, gaming, hasn't improved. Most people don't fixate over 4 milliseconds of jitter.
Pages: 1 [2]