Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VDSL patch leads  (Read 5228 times)

neil

• Reg Member
Re: VDSL patch leads
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 02:54:19 AM »

It doesn't all depends on cable length, there is also conductor size, conductor quality, quality of termination, quality of contacts.

But mostly all moot if you aren't having any interference in the house to begin with.
yes it is true and it was in my mind but i dont know why i forgot to mention in my post
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 02:56:08 AM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »

Hi

yes it can it is twisted pair less cross talk

Typically cross talk isn't a problem in the home because the line usually isn't running along side any others to cross with.

The only thing twisted pair 'patch cable' will help with is if the line in the home from the socket to the modem is picking up interference locally, again often not the case over such a short run.  Twisted pairs don't stop interference, the twists are there to ensure each wire picks up the same amount of interference.  Provided the interference is the same in both wires, it gets cancelled out.  So just a flat cable might twist and turn enough to do the same thing.  Interesting article here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair, twisting cable essentially started back in the 1880s on telegraph poles.

Other things that may make more of a difference is conductor size and quality of the connections, but only if the previous cable was particular poor.

Also just the fact the cable is a different length, i.e shorter OR longer even can improve or degrade the connection slightly, this is all to do with reflections of the signal and if it is in phase or out of phase etc and impedance changes.  Very much a black art and no one size fits all.

Regards

Phil

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:32:40 PM by PhilipD »

watcher

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 06:37:33 PM »

As the Wiki article states twisted pair was invented by Alexander Graham Bell. Specifically it appears in his telephone circuit patent of July 19 1881, which shows two wires twisted together and labelled 'a' and 'b'. Sounds vaguely familiar...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:40:43 PM by watcher »

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 05:16:43 PM »

I use cat5e pure cooper from my master sockets to extension socket (approx 10 meters) which I done myself (all extension wiring in my house are aluminium, good know why where house it's just 2 years old). After I done this quality of my line improve a loot. From socket to modem I use 50cm pure cooper cable, if I don't tweak snr eci modem sync with 78Mb/s , max 79Mb/s. If I tweak snr (-0.8 db) I got full 80Mb/s.
Pages: 1 [2]