Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: G.fast on Sky  (Read 2655 times)

hushcoden

• Reg Member
G.fast on Sky
« on: December 06, 2019, 04:07:34 PM »

My contract with Sky is about to expire and one of their sales rep on the phone told me that I could now upgrade to Ultrafast broadband that is G.fast

Now, the thing I didn't like is that I have to connect my telephone to their router in order to make/receive calls as they use VoIP: does it mean I won't be able to use a third-party modem ? I really like the flexibility I have now with my VMG1312-B10A + wireless router

Does anybody know if something similar can be achieved with G.fast ?

Tia.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 09:28:28 AM by hushcoden »

spudgun

• Reg Member
Re: G.fast on Sky
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 04:53:10 PM »

I have my G.Fast from Zen and I'm not required to have my phone calls via VOIP - i'd query that with Sky as I thought VOIP was more for people with FTTP

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 09:01:50 PM »

First point, do you want their phone line? If not you might be able to use a compatible Gfast modem, as there are a few around. But I suspect Sky won't give you any set up details for their VOIP line, even if your own modem/router came with a phone port. But you could always use a VOIP ATA anyway, perhaps working on Sipgate ( no line rental ) or another VOIP supplier. But more of a problem is if the standard login details for non Gfast modems that are available  would work, as I would be supprised if Sky would be too helpful on this.

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »

I have my G.Fast from Zen and I'm not required to have my phone calls via VOIP - i'd query that with Sky as I thought VOIP was more for people with FTTP
That's good to know... and did they install a new wall socket? Are you still using the classic splitter/microfilter ?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 11:02:32 AM »

Sky only sell G.Fast via the OpenReach SOGFast product.

SOGFast comes with no PSTN line, it's naked DSL.
Sky add their own VOIP on top.

What other ISP's do is irrelevant and will continue to be so as SOGEA and SOGFast hit the consumer market.

No idea if Sky allow their VOIP on 3rd party kit. If not I'd imagine you are in a pickle.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

hushcoden

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 12:59:43 PM »

First point, do you want their phone line? If not you might be able to use a compatible Gfast modem, as there are a few around. But I suspect Sky won't give you any set up details for their VOIP line, even if your own modem/router came with a phone port. But you could always use a VOIP ATA anyway, perhaps working on Sipgate ( no line rental ) or another VOIP supplier. But more of a problem is if the standard login details for non Gfast modems that are available  would work, as I would be supprised if Sky would be too helpful on this.
Assuming Sky will provide me with VoIP details and assuming I can find a third-party modem/router with VoIP feature which supports G.fast, if I'm not mistaken the VoIP telephone won't work if that modem/router is set in bridge mode, is that correct ?

Maybe after 8 years the time to change ISP has come...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 05:59:19 PM by hushcoden »

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 06:33:31 PM »

Do you want the Sky phone? If not, don't use it. You can get a stand alone VOIP adapter that plugs into any router you choose, Then select any VOIP phone line supplier that you wish........
  Sky supplied me with another ADSL/VDSL router when I got my latest deal with them. I have used it, but I am using it as little more than a modem. I have set up a static route on the sky modem, which is also the nominated DMZ address, so that all incoming traffic is diverted off to my Netgear cable type router. The Netgear router allows me to set up it's WiFi, my nominated DNS for all my network's users. The Netgear router also has 2 different Grandstream ATAs for my 2 Sipgate VOIP phone lines.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 08:35:43 PM by benji09 »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 08:50:16 AM »

We've done away with our landline altogether, just use mobiles, but we do have excellent reception on all networks at home.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

anything