Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: email addy displays on the internet....  (Read 7959 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
email addy displays on the internet....
« on: July 04, 2008, 08:02:59 AM »

Hi all you techies....

Can you tell me why when I Google one of my (hundreds  ;D) of email addresses, the main one I use for registering with forums, it come up displayed on Google?  I tried doing this as someone suggested we'd be surprised at how some mail addy's can be found through a search engine, well mine was and yet only with my craft forum but it takes you straight to my profile on there  :o.  I have taken things off of my profile but can't take my email address off that I registered with.  I can't understand why it's just me as no one else seems to have it come up..... any explanations you know as to why this should happen please?  I've even logged off the forum and deleted cookies on my computer, but searching in Google still comes up with my profile to the craft forum.  I'm really puzzled over this.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
Re: email addy displays on the internet....
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 08:40:45 AM »

The problem with google is its a big storage cupboard, one you've posted something anywhere on the net googles catches it and stores it. So changing things now will not help with how things were. Which is a sober reminder to be careful out there.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 09:35:31 AM »

Most forums allow you to hide your email address from public view. I would always take that option.
  Eric

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 12:08:11 PM »

Hiya

Yes I gathered Google would be the problem, but it must have summat to do with the forum too I feel, I have hidden my email address and people cannot contact me on it, but what I can't understand is why Google takes me straight to my profile on that site.  Seems strange to me because I've tried other email addresses and they don't do the same... hmmm... wonder wazzup with it.

Chrissie

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »

Hiya

Yes I gathered Google would be the problem, but it must have summat to do with the forum too I feel, I have hidden my email address and people cannot contact me on it, but what I can't understand is why Google takes me straight to my profile on that site.  Seems strange to me because I've tried other email addresses and they don't do the same... hmmm... wonder wazzup with it.

Chrissie

It could be something to do with the way the forum software treats the google bot, which would be in a setting that only the admins have access to.  For example, if the google bot has visitor status, and visitors can browse member profiles, then the bot will be able to see your email.... which to be honest is not good personal security.

So all I can suggest is that you raise the issue with whoever runs the forum. 
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:36:12 PM »

There is a certain other site that we are all familiar with that you can do exactly the same on, you can be there as a guest, check who is online and read their profiles, so if the hide email box is not ticked google and all the world can see it (that may be tautology google is all the world). Which is just one problem on an unstable (in my view) site.

Okay rant over.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 02:05:26 PM »

Is it possible you have installed Google Desktop either inadvertantly or for a good reason? A friend of mine was surprised to find all his documents and emails coming up when he did a Google search and was as worried as you are. Google say it is all safe and secure but I can't see the advantage over Outlook Express "Find" or "Explorer Search"
The page Google Desktop displays is very similar to the standard Google start page and my friend must have installed it inadvertantly, clicking "OK" when he shouldn't!
Tony

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 02:06:56 PM »

I can't think where you mean Yorkie   :shrug2:

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 02:09:16 PM »

Tony, I don't think that is the problem... I tried googling my two main emails, my private addy found nothing, but my forum one found a couple of forums where I forgot I was registered, so I've taken the precaution of hiding my addy on both of them.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 03:31:32 PM »

Chrissie,
Try to see if you can access your profile as a visitor. Go to the craft forum site and log off then close the browser.
Go back to it and do not log on, try to see members profiles whilst being on as a visitor. If you can get to members' profiles can you see the email address in your profile. If it is on show then log in and have a good look around to see if there is some method of hiding it. If not, contact the site admin and ask them to remove your address from view.
As it is on the search engine already it will stay there but if not visible when you entered the site as a visitor, spambots that trawl the web looking for email addresses wil not have access to it, because they can normally only access a site as a visitor.
dave

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 06:42:51 AM »

Dave I did what you said and I can see people's profiles including mine of course.  I'd already taken off the email address so it didn't appear in the profile showing.  What is worrying me is that the actual email addy is showing on GOOGLE it reads like this....

MSN Messenger: *********@hotmail.com. Yahoo Messenger:. AIM Address:. ICQ Number:. Jump to:. Select a forum, General, ----------------, The Welcome Room ...

When you click on the link above that, it takes you to my profile but the mail addy isn't there now, but it IS on Google itself for everyone to see!!!!

It is also on AVG/Yahoo search as......Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in. Index ... *********@hotmail.com. Yahoo Messenger: AIM Address: ICQ Number: Jump to: ...
Didn't come up with it on MSN search....

Don't think I've got Google desktop as I rarely download things.  I wonder if Floidy could be right with the software on the forum, it does have loads of ads on it too, though I'm lost to how it all works.

Just peed off really especially as I'm getting a little spam et al where I didn't used to  :(

Thanks for your help everyone.

Chrissie

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 10:28:44 AM »

Chrissie, have you contacted the forum admins yet to see what they advise?

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 10:54:34 AM »

Chrissie, have you contacted the forum admins yet to see what they advise?

Not yet, will do when I go in there next time....will see what he has to say and let you know.

Thanks
Chrissie

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 04:16:07 PM »

As it is already showing in Google, removing it in the forums is too late, and the forum admin cannot stop something appearing on Google if the information has already been displayed on the internet and gleaned by their crawlers.
dave

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »

As it is already showing in Google, removing it in the forums is too late, and the forum admin cannot stop something appearing on Google if the information has already been displayed on the internet and gleaned by their crawlers.
dave

Yes Dave, I wondered if that was the case... damage done and all that.  I just wondered how it got on there when I'm registered on that site with two different addresses (changed my id on there for a little while due to problems), but the only one that came up on google was the one I'm talking about....can't even understand why it's showing the actual address... sob.

Chrissie

anything