Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Waitrose Greenwashing  (Read 916 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Waitrose Greenwashing
« on: December 01, 2019, 07:00:22 PM »

I’ve always shopped in Waitrose.   Not because I’m posh since I’m not, and never was, but because I used to trust them to provide good quality and to ‘do right’ for animal welfare etc.   Nowadays, the ‘doing right’ would extend to other environmental issues too.  They are ever so green, there’s a whole section of one nearby store given over to ‘fill your own container’ with pasta/rice/beer etc.

But...

Yesterday, I wanted to buy a chicken.   They no longer sell their basic chicken in weighed bags, it is instead categorised into ‘small’, ‘medium’, ‘large’ etc,   All the smalls look identical to one another, as do all the mediums etc, which begs the question... what happens to the in-betweens?   Landfill?

Online I see they are doing a deal, three chickens for £10.  I wonder, how many people who buy 3 whole chickens on one day will actually use them, or is there a danger of eyes bigger than fridge?

I also wanted to buy some leeks.   They seem to have made some compromises squeezing in the ‘fill your own’ part of the shop as at the other end of the store the ‘fresh veg’ area has shrunk a lot.   No loose leeks any more, I had to but a pre packaged pack of three. :(

Several times recently I have shopped for refills of my favourite instant coffee, Nescafe Gold Blend.   I always look at various options and buy what’s cheapest, price per gram.  And as often as not, cheapest option is not a refill, it’s a new big glass jar. ???

And of course, the ‘fill your own container’ part of the shop is always deserted, purely a publicity stunt.

Still, as long as they welcome cyclists and ban carrier bags, I guess that’s the green credentials needed for the publicity they’re chasing. :D

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:13:14 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Waitrose Greenwashing
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 10:12:50 PM »

Ouch.  :'(  Damn  :no:  :thumbdown:

anything