Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Huawei 4g B311 router + Asus Ac55u router  (Read 3664 times)

Pip2020

• Just arrived
Huawei 4g B311 router + Asus Ac55u router
« on: November 30, 2019, 12:44:34 PM »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and would like some help as it's now driving me mad.
My previous ISP was through telephone and due to where I live the speed I was getting was 10mb Up and 2mb down, for fibre as the green box is over a mile away.  So I made a switch to 3 mobile unlimited data and received the Huawei B311 which has triple speed up and down then telephone.

I have a Asus Dsl-Ac55u router that for my house covers all the corners with WiFi, better then what plusnet provided. As I have everything attached and setup on that router and the WiFi on the huawei isn't great at all and only one port on the back (LAN/WAN) is there anyway of telling my ac55u to receive Internet from the b311 through the ethernet port to the ac55u and how do I setup the routers configurations, as what I've tried hasn't worked.  I've tried bridge mode on both routers, I've tried setting the b311 to a static ip and turned DCHP off and the ac55u still can't see it.

Appreciate any help

Many thanks in advance.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Huawei 4g B311 router + Asus Ac55u router
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 01:28:54 PM »

Welcome to the forums.

There's a lot of information on the Think Broadband Forums regarding using Three as your broadband connection.

Normally you'd configure the Asus to use the WAN, but not sure on the B311 as it's rather lacking in feature's, you may be better off buying a better 4G modem which may actually mean better speeds, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 04:06:55 PM »

The B311 should be set to bridge mode and then plugged into the WAN port of the Asus, which from the manual looks it needs to be set to 'Ethernet WAN' in the Internet connection settings.
What I'm not sure about is which settings will need to be transferred from the B311 as I've no experience of using a 4G modem.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 10:38:03 AM »

You could leave the B311 as it is, optionally disabling the wireless if you don't want a potentially confusing additional SSID floating around.  Set the Asus to "Ethernet WAN" and connect the B311 to the WAN port of the Asus (shown as Blue in the image that I saw).  The only potential reason that this wouldn't work would be if your internal LAN addressing uses the same subnet as the B311.  Most Huawei devices use 192.168.8.0 by default, and it looks as if the Asus defaults to 192.168.1.0 so there shouldn't be a conflict unless you've made a change to either device.

You will have "double NAT" in that your inside addresses are translated twice, but there is no disadvantage unless you want to set up any unsolicited inbound access.  It may be that Three gives you a private address anyway, in which case double NAT has no disadvantages at all.

Pip2020

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 02:12:28 PM »

Hi,

Thank you all for the info.  The B311 is a confusing router with only one LAN/WAN port and I don't think the software on the B311 is really working great.  I've tried bridge mode and specific ip addresses.  I've tried whataesmith and tuba an has recommend and no avail. I connected from the LAN/WAN port From the 311 to the ac55u WAN and neither devices could see each other. But yet if I move from the WAN on the ac55u to a LAN on the ac55u they both know there's a connection but the B311 says in the software "disconnected".

So I've ordered a D-Link DWR-921 N300 4g router/modem, should be here Wednesday and then give that a go from there. I'll see if the D-Link is a better router then the ac55u too? See what the Pro and cons are.

I will say how it got on.  If any other advice to see even to connect the B311 as separate and all I need to do is change the static address on a device to see the B311 through the main router could be handy and see if that works for now.

Thank you again.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 03:44:37 PM »

anything