Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iPad iMessages’ notification not appearing  (Read 2392 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
iPad iMessages’ notification not appearing
« on: February 14, 2020, 07:19:10 PM »

When I’m in another app and my wife send me an iMessage, I don’t get the notification banner, so I don’t know she has sent me a message even. Nor does it come up when the machine is locked. FaceTime incoming calls give notification as expected though. When I’m inside the iMessage app itself I see the incoming message, so no comms problem.

Spoke to Apple who said there’s a thing visible in the lock screen when you get a notification - you can swipe left and then you get an option "Manage" which allows you to hide that one specific type of notification. So they’re saying I must have fallen victim to that. But there’s no way of undoing it then, as I cannot see these things in the lock screen away so cannot get back into this manage thing.

Would I spend ten hours driving to Glasgow and back to an Apple store? Can’t do that, so I’m stuffed then,

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: iPad iMessages’ notification not appearing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 07:28:09 PM »

You’ve explored the options in settings->notifications?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 07:42:26 PM »

I have. And just now Janet solved it when Apple couldn’t - there’s an option inside the messages app itself, not in settings. One clicks on the person’s name at the top in the conversation window in the Messages app then there’s a Hide alerts option - specific to that one person. And that was the answer!  ;D ;D  Both I and Janet had this option set somehow but we never used this control in the UI.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 11:42:02 PM »

Wow, you’re right, or at least Janet is.   I wanted to take my time before responding again as I was sure you were wrong and I wanted to find the proof.   But I agree, you’re not wrong.

How bizarre.  They seem to have made it a ‘per conversation’ option, but that itself is maybe based on the equally bizarre concept that every message I have ever exchanged with my other half seems to be seen by iOS as part of a single ‘conversation”?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 12:40:17 AM »

I’m pretty configured there’s a bug here.

Well done to my beloved - beat Apple support