Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sky Broadband Speed and Long Ping Times  (Read 4086 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Sky Broadband Speed and Long Ping Times
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 09:42:41 AM »

Ignore that speed test result! I've just tried two speedtest.net tests:

Server in AZ - ping 138, download 62.3

Automatically server in London - ping 12, download 71.32

Use the thinkbroadband test only and then you'll know comparing results is a valid comparison.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 08:29:18 PM »

Thank you for that. It is obviously my computer that has a problem. If I wanted to use Safari as my web browser I would not have this issue. The trouble is that I don't like Safari, I prefer Firefox. Hopefully a future update to Catalina, Firefox, or my Trend anti virus software will sort my problem out.

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 10:24:26 PM »

On my iMac, FF without any addins is at least as good for testing as Safari.

It will be the AV that is your problem.  Try uninstalling Trend (at least temporarily) to check out the improvement.

I have licences for both Kaspersky IS and Eset Cybersecurity Pro and depending on the version of the MacOS and AV versions both have happilty given single thread speeds that match the multithread speeds on the TBB tester, however there is always one that plaus up to  agreater or lesser extent.

At the moment it is Eset that works best on Catalina.

There is a view that AVs are a waste of time on a MAC, which I have never felt confortable with; they do come with a slight performance overhead though.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2019, 08:41:13 PM »

Thank you for that. I have just tried the speed test again without Trend Anti virus being installed, and it proved that was causing the problem. At the moment I have 3 weeks to go on that virus software before I need to renew it. So will put up with the problem at the moment until they fix the software, or I find another one - that works, and is cheaper!
   Reference Apple computers being free from virus attack, this I think was due to the fact that in the past very few people used Apple computers. Therefore hackers left them alone. But not now!
Pages: 1 [2]

anything