Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sky Broadband Speed and Long Ping Times  (Read 4084 times)

benji09

• Reg Member
Sky Broadband Speed and Long Ping Times
« on: November 26, 2019, 09:31:53 PM »

The last few evening I been getting slow downs and long ping times on my Sky broadband. There seems to be no faults being shown anywhere about it. I anyone else getting the same problem?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Sky Broadband Speed and Long Ping Times
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:32:03 AM »

Could you post the results of a couople of thinkbroadband speed tests please, one when speeds are normal and one when you are seeing the slow down.

(PS Why the shouting?)
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 10:21:57 PM »

Thank for the reply, but my I.T. skills are limited. Knowing how to take the speed test results and put them into the reply, I can't do. But most of the time my download rate is between 60 and 70 Mbs, but the ping time should be normally about 15ms mark - not 135ms. I beginning to think my broadband test was routed  via a satellite link, or via Australia! Not that the speed test gives that option now, I think. Reason I asked my question was because nobody else seems currently to be having a problem at the moment, although the problem was reported and cleared a few days ago. The other thing is that my Apple operating system has been upgraded to the latest one - Catalina, and wondering if there was a bug in the upgrade, or whether my old Mac has just run out of steam?      I am using a Mac mini 2012.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:29:12 PM by benji09 »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 11:58:48 PM »

If it was down to your Mac you wouldn't see a difference between peak and other times - it would be slow all the time.

Just click the link I gave and start the test. When it has completed click the Results page button. Scroll down that page and find BBCode (for forums; not supported on thinkbroadband forums). Copy that code which will look something like this:

[url=https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?test=1574898731235318655][img]https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/button/1574898731235318655.png[/img][/url]

and paste that in to a post on here which will appear like this:

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 10:23:28 PM »

Thank you for the reply, I will post  my speed test results when my I.T. advisor comes on Sunday.  I did in fact find some posts, late last night from some Sky broadband customers that were in fact quite angry about their broadband's problems. Seems I am not alone...... When I first noticed slow loading of everything on my broadband, I thought that perhaps my DNS provider ( Q9 ) were having problems, so I swopped them over to another, but that made no improvement. The odd thing is that netflix works O.K. as does my V.O.I.P. phones except for a couple of quick bursts of drop outs one time. Page loading takes ages. Trying to do a speed test takes ages to load all the rubbish, then checking for the best server take ages and ages. As I assume that any speed test server would use a static I.P. address, a DNS problem might not cause a slow down in the speed test setting up?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 10:54:35 PM »

As thinkbroadband.com has an IPv4 address of 80.249.106.141, you could enter 80.249.106.141/speedtest into your web-browser's address bar. No DNS look-up would be required.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 09:09:58 PM »

Thank you for that. I tried that speed test site, and it took roughly the same time to get to it, but due to the less rubbish to load was very much quicker to get to the do the test. But still my ping times are very high, and my speed was all over the place. It does seem that Sky may have a congestion problem. But the VOIP and streaming is being given preference over other traffic, and for most part covering it up. For a short time earlier this evening my VOIP phone failed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 10:27:34 PM by benji09 »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 10:44:03 PM »

Seeing the graphs often tells us a lot - please post a tbb result!

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 10:06:21 PM »

Yes will try to get that screen shot for you, but as I said my computer skills are limited. I had a one day Windows course in 1994, and then back to my normal job, which also involved writing minutes of a meeting once every 3 months using a computer on my desk. This computer was permanently on during the day so that I could send or receive the very few Emails I  had to send or receive. This obviously did lots to improve my carbon foot print. Actually found, if anything urgent was required, it was better ot use a `Post It ' note stuck to middle of somebody's VDU screen. This tended to give more instant response..... Unfortunately  due to distance, the latter was not always possible.   Reference the graphs, I obviously have looked at them. But I don't know really what is normal. Most speed test start a bit sluggish then get a bit better as the test continues. But, more recent tests have been a bit up and down, which does seem to confirm that something is not right with the network.     

Postal

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 01:05:00 AM »

You don't need a screen shot.  The tbb speedtest has buttons you can click to give you a link you can post which will point people to your result

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 09:17:50 PM »

Please find the attached file showing a screen shot of a speed test.  The ping time was lower than it has been, but the speed was all over the place...................

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 01:05:48 PM »

Just off the bottom of your screen shot is a button labelled Results page.

If you copy the code from the box under "BBCode (for forums; not supported on thinkbroadband forums)" and paste that in to a post it is easier for us to read (see my sample above).

I think what the screen shot is showing is that x1 speed is far worse than the x6. If so ou need to report it to Sky - it's not going to be anything at your end that you can do anything about.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 09:14:10 PM »

I contacted Sky, and they did a few tests with my line for me, and they could find nothing wrong. So I decided to get my wife's laptop into my room to try out in here. No problem on her machine. I decided to consult my IT advisor. He suggested I try Safari instead of Firefox, that I was currently using. This cleared up the problem of high ping and page loading times. Anyone else heard of this problem before?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 08:48:37 PM by benji09 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 11:31:36 PM »

I use Firefox and all is fine here.   But then again I'm running Windows and not Catalina.   Safari is Apples own web browser, but it shouldn't really make any difference.

Just checking the obvious that you;re connecting via LAN and not wifi.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 08:37:35 PM »

Thanks, the problem happens on both wired or 5Ghz WiFi. But I  am running Trend Antivirus.  I learned on line last night that a an antivirus software could in fact cause my problem. While i have been typing this reply my virus software has just been updated......
  Just tried another speed test on Speed Test . Net, and after a huge wait I was allocated a server in AZ in the USA. The results were bad as usual, so the Trend update was not to fix this problem!
Pages: [1] 2

anything