Internet > Web Browsing & Email

Saving IMAP emails

(1/2) > >>

grumpy old man:
I am closing a domain name that is no longer required.  I am advised by the company that hosts my domain name that once I close the account all emails are deleted.

My question is that as I use IMAP will all emails in my inbox etc disappear?  I remember reading somewhere that only headers are downloaded?  I use emclient for my emails and these are backed up every week.  I used to use Outloook and have back up copies of pst files.

Attachments to emails are not downloaded so I am having to go through and make sure I have copies of these.

Thank you

gom

grumpy old man:
I might have a work round.  If I delete the account from my email client and then set up again as a POP3 account the software should download all my emails?  I use more than one email client, as the others are set up as IMAP would that affect the download using POP3.

gom

jelv:
Does emclient allow you to set up local folders (thunderbird does)? If so do that and copy (or move) all the emails across.

jelv:
I've just downloaded and installed eM Client. As I expected it gave me a set of local Folders in which I could create more folders to replicate the IMAP folders of my mailbox. It's just then a case of copying the emails to be kept across.

If you have more than one mail account set up you could copy the emails from the domain you are closing to the email account you are keeping (again creating folders as needed).

grumpy old man:
Thank you for your replies.

I use both Thunderbird and emclient.

Interestingly I didn't have local folders showing in Thunderbird, but since adding the account in question a local folder has appeared.

You have recommended copying emails across to the local folders.  Am I to understand that when the email account is closed at my host the mail in local folders will not be affected?

How do I copy from domain webmail to say a gmail account.

gom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version