Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: IoT routers  (Read 1774 times)

saabw

IoT routers
« on: November 25, 2019, 12:58:05 PM »

Hi,

has anyone any views on these devices, I'm thinking of Bitdefender Box or F Sense from F-Secure or do you have other suggestion
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 02:07:47 PM by saabw »
Windows 11 64bit
ISP/Router soon to be BRSK, Technicolor DWA0122
Connection Speed  500Mbps down/up

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: IoT routers
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 01:39:30 AM »

Depends what you mean by that.

For example, having voice control in your router sounds like a dumb idea as the rule of thumb with a router is to run as little software on it as possible, as every extra piece is a potential security hole.

Think of how bad it is if an IoT device gets compromised, it would still need to hack into your router or other devices to really hurt you.
Now think how much worse that is if that device is actually your router so it immediately has the ability to sniif/spoof data to/from every device on your LAN.

As for virus scanning on your router, that's a baffling idea to me.  You want traffic to flow as freely as possible from the WAN to your LAN clients, I can only assume it would be proxying and as most traffic is https now, how exactly is it going to do that?  Even if it could, you're adding another bottleneck for questionable benefits.  Sounds like marketing BS to me.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:44:38 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

saabw

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 11:12:58 AM »

Thanks for the reply.
The idea of the two devices, is the AV , Firewall and the VPN is installed on the router with no need to AV, firewall or VPN installed on each laptop, PC, mobile or other household  internet connected device. So saving money, but  are they reliable or convenient, if with VPN forcing all connect on VPN , what about gaming. I'm thinking of the money savings if when compared multi use installed AV,. But if on a laptop on another network then your not covered.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:27:49 AM by saabw »
Windows 11 64bit
ISP/Router soon to be BRSK, Technicolor DWA0122
Connection Speed  500Mbps down/up

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 09:09:45 PM »

As I understand it, router AV is actually anti-malware, it can do zilch about actual viruses embedded in PC software except perhaps prevent it from phoning home.

What it can do is maintain a list of dodgy sites and block you from being able to access them.  I already do this with pfSense and pfBlockerNG, its likely so-called AV in routers are using the same lists I am.

I don't know anybody who uses paid AV software these days, generally Windows Defender is good enough as no AV is foolproof.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 12:13:22 AM »

Windows Defender is certainly good enough and it doesn’t ruin your machine, marking it unreliable either. I agree strongly.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 03:03:57 PM »

Windows Defender is certainly good enough and it doesn’t ruin your machine, marking it unreliable either. I agree strongly.

You say that but a couple of days ago it was eating 100% CPU on my PC for some unknown reason.  ::)

It seemed to be back to normal yesterday though, very odd.

I think Windows just generally gets a bit upset that I do not use it every day so when I do finally boot back into it, strange things can happen as updates and scans catch-up.

anything