Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Networking sanity check requested - IP address lookup/resolution priority  (Read 872 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Sanity check please. I want to plug in a modem into my LAN at address 192.168.1.1 and configure it. That’s the default for a new Zyxel VMG 1312-B10A I hope. As long as I set my own iPad to say 192.168.1.x eg 192.168.1.99 or anything where x != 1, set the netmask to 255.255.255.0 say - is that all I need to do ?

I have to factory-reset the modem with the dreaded poker before this, mind, in case it’s second hand and therefore at non-default IP address settings.

Q: Do I have to disconnect my Firebrick router from the LAN too? I have been doing so, but now I think I have have no good idea why; just muddled thinking. Am I (now) correct?

I was worrying about the ARP cache. But I’m assuming the timeout is quite short, so any cache entry for 192.168.1.1 should be empty, no?

When going through my router with normal addressing 192.168.1.1 would be LAN-external, routed via my router to the admin i/f of modem #1 because the addressing of such modem i/fs is 192.168.n.1. That use of that address was what was worrying me about ARP caching, but my previous superstitious behaviour still makes no sense to me.

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Networking sanity check requested - IP address lookup/resolution priority
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 02:12:56 PM »

As long as they are in the same broadcast domain and there's nothing else on that same IP address you'll be fine.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Networking sanity check requested - IP address lookup/resolution priority
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 02:36:38 PM »

Thought so. I was just being stupid before because I was overtired. :-) thanks.