Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Son has told me getting drop outs  (Read 4862 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Son has told me getting drop outs
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 04:39:50 PM »

If he takes the front off the master socket to access the test socket he should find there are wires attached to the part he pulls out which go to the other sockets. These should then all be dead with no dial tone.

If as d2d4j suggested, someone has tapped in to the main pair at the back of the master socket, other sockets will could still work. This would cause issues and he'd need to get someone in to correct the wiring.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 04:46:31 PM »

Once he has verified that all the sockets are correctly wired he should try just using the test socket only with the router and handset plugged in to a filter plugged in to the test socket. If that runs OK with no drop outs, the the best bet would be a filtered master socket with the router plugged in to that.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 09:05:17 AM »

Thanks once more! Next I shall concoct an email with all the points raised by the A Team. ;D

Although nothing in particular was gained from the stats wad, the spikes in the SNR per tone graph, also the green line that drops down on the r/h edge of the SNR one, why and what do they mean?

My pseudo feline curiosity is welling up.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 06:05:48 PM »

. . . the spikes in the SNR per tone graph, also the green line that drops down on the r/h edge of the SNR one, why and what do they mean?

The SNR plot is showing a number of frequencies where the signal is almost non-existent. Reading from the left to right, the very first one is at sub-carrier 32 which corresponds to the frequency where the US band and the DS band end and begin, respectively.

As for that green line at the right-hand end of the SNRMargin plot, it is where the US data finally drops low enough to actually appear. Basically the US is higher than the upper limit of that plot (10.5 dB).

As it is an ADSL2+ service, DSLstats needs to be configured to show up to 512 sub-carriers and no more. Currently there is a lot of wasted-space to the right where no data can be shown. Likewise the utility needs to be configured to accommodate a SNRMargin greater than 10.5 dB.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 07:15:51 PM »

If I assume that the upstream SNRM now running at ~6dB is the norm, what would be the cause of it being so high before: part of a fault?
Sorry about the SNR per tone, I should've realised, but was muddling with per band graph on my copy of DSLstats.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 08:10:57 PM »

If I assume that the upstream SNRM now running at ~6dB is the norm, what would be the cause of it being so high before: part of a fault?

It's really impossible to say. (Some intermittent fault could, possibly, be behind it.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything