Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Linux/Unix - mount point question?  (Read 5273 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Linux/Unix - mount point question?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 12:20:42 AM »

Yes it seems to go some way beyond what can be achieved with the basic rwx permissions.

I do vaguely recall,  mid 1990s, about the time I was moving on to greener pastures, ACLs were appearing in Unix and confusing my simple view of the world.  Even so, iirc, ACLs were just glorified permission controls.  File attributes like ‘immutable’ seem to have crept in while I wasn’t looking. :)

I have the impression that in order to accidentally write to an immutable directory, even as root, one would have to first accidentally execute ‘chattr -i’, which does not seem likely.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 06:39:06 AM »

It's the mount point which is made immutable with the +i  switch. A remote file system can still be mounted by root at that mount point, after which you can write to the remote file system. At no time do you write to the mount point itself. So there's no mystery here.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 09:27:13 AM »

It occurs to me there is one downside to using the immutable attribute.  It is the fact that my brain became full some time ago, and can no longer be relied upon to store new knowledge.

If, at some future time I ever want to delete or rename the mount point, I may spend rather a lot of time figuring out why it won’t let me do so.  For I’ll have long since forgotten that I found chattr and made it immutable.  And unless I check using lsattr (which I’ll also have forgotten about), it doesn’t seem to be obvious that immutability is the issue.  :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2019, 11:21:42 AM »

I know what you mean - I'm conscious of the same issue. I try to deal with it by keeping an organised notes program running at all times, and adding a note whenever I encounter something I don't want to forget. So I've added a note about chattr and lsattr now. I use a program called Keepnote.
  Eric

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 12:58:32 AM »

But do you remember you've made notes?  ::)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 06:56:59 AM »

:oldman:

I've got into the habit using Keepnote frequently, with all notes indexed by category and a lot of cross-references. Hopefully I will remember to look there when I need to.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 08:42:25 AM »

Keepnote does look useful.

I’ve always tried (not always successfully)  to keep detailed logs & records of the things that I do to home tech.  There’s a logbook for each machine for example that contains a history of initial build, maintenance, upgrades etc.   I try to record the reasons for whatever decisions had to be made, as well as the implementation detail.   

But in my case, these are just plain text documents or in early days, actual paper books.  Something with better indexing would indeed be useful. :)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 11:12:35 AM »

Keepnote does look like a good idea, but the last release (0.7.8) was in March 2012. 0.7.9 was made available for pre-release testing in July 2012 and has stagnated. The last update on the issue tracker appears to be 2015.

I'd want something that ran on Android as well with the ability to sync to my desktop (using Google drive, Dropbox or OneDrive etc.).
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 08:43:32 PM »

:oldman:

I've got into the habit using Keepnote frequently, with all notes indexed by category and a lot of cross-references. Hopefully I will remember to look there when I need to.

Many thanks for the reference Eric, had not seen this utility before, looks very useful indeed, have had a little play on Windows 10 platform and a read at the help files.
I religiously make notes of my projects & activities when fresh in my mind but frequently can't remember where I stored the notes, strange that a storage location can make perfect sense on creation but seem totally illogical a month later, likely an age thing !

Hopefully this utility will help.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 12:17:16 PM »

One other habit I’ve adopted for quick and easy spontaneous note taking, that’s accessible from all my devices and needs no special Apps, is to compose an unaddressed email and save it in gmail’s ‘drafts’ folder.   It can then be viewed later on other devices that connect to same gmail.  I speak for Apple devices, but I assume Android/Linux/Windows clients would all work too.

I could of course just send myself an email but that would add clutter to my inbox and sent items, leaving it in ‘drafts’ avoids that clutter. 
Pages: 1 [2]