Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tom’s Loft insulation calls  (Read 1046 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Tom’s Loft insulation calls
« on: November 21, 2019, 01:41:21 PM »

Not sure if anybody else is getting these, it’s a genuine sounding UK accent, ‘Tom’, wanting to talk about loft insulation?

If so, don’t just hang up, the calls can be fun.   Tom initially appears to be capable of interactive conversation, he’ll ask questions and keep quiet while you answer, then continue the conversation in an enthusiastic tone.   But actually, Tom turns out to be a quite well-executed interactive computer simulation.   I’m not yet sure whether Tom is programmed to simply ignore what you say, or if it actually modifies his response.

You can of course, have fun with Tom.  In response to his questions about loft insulation, say something irrelevant, or read out a random sentence from a book.   Undeterred, Tom carries on the conversation for a surprisingly long time before ending with “Uh, OK then, I’ll get a manager to call you and arrange a home visit”.

It really is fun, I recommend you have a play if you get a call from Tom :).

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Tom’s Loft insulation calls
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 02:01:02 PM »

who actually still answers calls from numbers you don't recognise these days?
i'd even wager that the number of people actually making "real" calls is so low that they are insignificant

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »

I was very glad I answered one a few months ago.

I’d been summonsed for Jury Service and not looking forwards to it at all, as it meant getting up at the crack of dawn every day to get into town.

About a week before my date for service, the phone rang, with an unknown number.  I wasn’t in the mood for unknown callers, so I  ignored it.   Other half overruled me and answered.   It was the Jury service, they were over provisioned for my dates, and would I like to be excused?   I quickly figured out that the correct answer was “Yes, please”.

If we’d not answered, I’m quite sure he’d just have moved onto the next person on his list. :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 03:41:12 PM »

That's the trouble you never know whether it's a genuine call or not, sometimes it's obvious that it's a spoofed number, other times it's not, some of our customers numbers sometimes come up a bit odd.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D