Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New (to me) scam call about cutting my internet off purporting to be BT OR  (Read 4052 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen

I just answered the phone to a pre-recorded womans voice purporting to be BTOR and saying they were about to cut me off please press 1. Needless to say I did not! Strange though as the voice was obviously fake as she did not pause for breath so sounded like someone cobbled together the words on a computer without putting pauses between works as someone would normally speak. I've had several calls over the past few days where the line just went dead with no voice, all from apparently spoofed numbers. Might just fool some folks which I guess is what they want.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: New (to me) scam call about cutting my internet off purporting to be BT OR
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 12:05:43 PM »

I think they have people pressing 1 in an attempt to not have people taking up their time, so more duped people get put through.

There seems to be a new weapon against the scam call centres now that allows a program to bombard their lines and shut them down. The main guy I follow on youtube is Jim Browning.

Have a watch at this video. In the update video after this he has copied lots of files from the scammers computer and plays the .wav files, which is probably the message you heard.

Destroying a scam call center
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHHzoDqZL8M[/youtube]
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 12:13:03 PM »

I also like to annoy them (though I’m not in the league of Jim)... Wow.

On the BT call mentioned, I do often press ‘1’.   I sometimes claim to be a disgruntled customer who is trying to terminate a contract, insisting that I’ve been waiting for weeks to be cut off.  I rant and rave a bit, asking for assurance that they’ll cut me off right now.  It does seem to throw them ‘off script’.  :D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:14:46 PM »

I think they have people pressing 1 in an attempt to not have people taking up their time, so more duped people get put through.

Which is exactly why we should press one and feed them a load of nonsense just like 7LM does , this increases their costs and makes the scam less viable. I had a couple of calls yesterday, first one I pressed one but got cut off, second time I was too busy.

Someone posted on a local forum yesterday saying they only just turned off their computer on time as they got taken on by it, had to freeze their accounts and get various stuff removed from his computer.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 02:39:20 PM »

Had one this morning displaying a UK 07... mobile number.
A heavily distorted recording - female voice purporting to be "Ofcom technical department" warning that my internet would be cut off unless I pressed 1. Yeah right...!
Maybe I will next time just to see how the scam is supposed to work.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 02:51:45 PM »

Maybe I will next time just to see how the scam is supposed to work.

Usually, in my experience, you just get through to the old familiar “your computer is infected” scam, payload (if you are fooled) being installation of fake AV tools, or actual malicious software, or CC fraud.

Interestingly though, they often seem unaware that I’ve pressed ‘1’ to make the contact, and unaware of what I might be expecting to discuss.   That makes me wonder if actually, the ‘press 1’ call might be just another level of scam, getting paid a finders fee by the other scammers, for delivering a sucker?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:54:58 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 03:00:22 PM »

Hadn't thought of that @7LM, but sounds eminently feasible.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 09:49:21 PM »

I had this scam some time ago. I spoke to a woman. The reply I gave her was only slightly more refined than my standard one that I normally use on these situations.........

InPe90

• Just arrived

I get calls saying im being disconnected by BT all the time but Im not even with them, im with virgin and was with SSE before (dont recommend) you can use https://scam-numbers.co.uk/ to check the number or report it. My mum ignored a call from talk talk once sayign her bill hadnt been paid because she thought it was this scam but actually hadnt paid the bill  :D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

I think we've had this before, but I rarely answer the landline as its primarily my mum who uses it so I let her answer.

I did get the Amazon Prime "press 1 if you do not wish to renew" one this week though.

I also got an automated call today, trying to sell me a service to clean the oven.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 11:30:04 PM »

Twice in the past week, once with the Amazon scam and another I forget, I’ve managed to annoy them enough that they start swearing at me.

Trouble is, I find the swearing rather comical.   It’s not the kind of offensive language I hate, that  you might overhear in the modern pub.  Rather, it’s like the sound track of some Quentin Tarantino street movie, but in the accent of an outsourced ISP help desk.

So, the swearing makes me giggle.   Yet once I start giggling they swear all the more, and then my giggles turn to outright laughter.   A positive feedback loop often then ensues. :D

anything