Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Remote Control Via Sky IR Eye  (Read 3523 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Remote Control Via Sky IR Eye
« on: November 20, 2019, 07:04:58 PM »

Having a very frustrating issue with what is commonly refered to as a "Sky IR Eye" setup.

My setup is a Technomate Digital HD Modulator receiving HDMI input from a Humax Free-View PVR with it's RF output feeding a Labgear LDL104RR, line powered, IR power pass distribution amplifier which in turn feeds 3 remote TV's.
The Technomate Modulator fully supports remote IR operation and provides a switchable 9V. DC supply on it's RF output to power the remote distribution amplifier and the associated remote Sky IR eye's, similar to the setup on "RF-2" output on the early Sky boxes.

My problem is, two of the remote TV location points work perfectly with respect to remote control of the Humax PVR, one remote TV location will not reliably control the Humax PVR via it's Sky IR Eye link even though all 3 remotes TV's are displaying perfect video and audio from any source.

What I've tried to date without success:

1/. Substituted the "Sky IR Eye" between points, all 3 work perfectly at the 2 "non-faulty" locations.
2/. Tried the "faulty location" on all 4 amplifier ports (with & without other ports connected).
3/. Supplied the distribution amplifier power with an external 12V. DC PSU in stead of using the 9V. DC supply from the modulator.
4/. Substituted the TV.
5/. Checked/replaced all the connectors from distribution amp. to TV (via. the Sky IR Eye)
6/. Ran a complete new cable from distribution amp. to problem location avoiding wall termination plate and using "F" connectors throughout.

As virtually everything has now been substituted I'am completely out of ideas, any suggestions welcome.       
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

benji09

• Reg Member
Re: Remote Control Via Sky IR Eye
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 10:01:10 PM »

I  had one of these things years ago, but can't remember how they work? I am not sure if a tone is sent down the coax cable back to the satellite box or not. Have you measured the voltage being received at the faulty tv end? Is the length of the cable going to the faulty device longer than the rest of the feeds?

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 09:52:44 AM »

I  had one of these things years ago, but can't remember how they work? I am not sure if a tone is sent down the coax cable back to the satellite box or not. Have you measured the voltage being received at the faulty tv end? Is the length of the cable going to the faulty device longer than the rest of the feeds?

I am not sure if a tone is sent down the coax cable back to the satellite box or not.

Yes, the remote control signal is modulated back down the coax cable, through any compatable distribution amplifier and back to source, in my case a Humax free-view PVR which has an IR transmitter attached in direct view of the box IR sensor.

Have you measured the voltage being received at the faulty tv end?

Yes, have explored this avenue and even used a separate 12V. DC PSU applied to the Labgear distribution amplifier in place of the 9V. DC power source from the Technomate modulator.

Is the length of the cable going to the faulty device longer than the rest of the feeds?

Strangely enough it's the shortest cable run from the distribution amplifier which is exibiting the issue described !
As stated earlier, I have completely substituted this cable run using top quality satellite cable with "F" connectors throughout and avoiding the "wall plate" coax socket.

I found this reference last night after posting.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/the-definitive-skylink-magic-eye-guide.1492445/
Certainly outlines a number of factors which I have not considered, hope to try these out today and will report results.   

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 05:37:50 PM »

Well, after trying all of the suggestions in the "avforums" link, see previous post, can report that none of them provided a solution for my particular application.

Moving the in-line IR Eye module to various points along the RF cable away from the TV aerial socket had no perceivable effect on the issue.

Making and connecting a "Decoupled Cable" did not work either, just decreased the signal strength sufficiently to produce frequent video pixilation and make viewing impossible.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 09:43:50 PM »

I dont have any real reason to ask this, but have you tried to by-pass the distribution amplifier, and connect the sat. box only to the fault tv outlet on it's own?

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 09:32:52 AM »

I dont have any real reason to ask this, but have you tried to by-pass the distribution amplifier, and connect the sat. box only to the fault tv outlet on it's own?

No, not as such, my distribution system is quite complex in that I combine a pair of aerials externally (one for RTE and one for UK terrestrial broadcasts) + the Technomate PVR modulator output + another Technomate modulator output from my CCTV DVR, all combined using two Labgear passive (power pass) splitter/combiners, works very well but with all this passive combining I really need the distribution amplifier to make up for all the passive combining attenuation.

I can try the "faulty" location "straight through" bypassing the dist. amp. as you have suggested but this will upset the other TV points which are working perfectly and I really can't see why this location is behaving differently from the other two locations which are working perfectly especially as I have substituted everything to the "faulty" location including the RF feed cable.     

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »

I know how you feel. You should see my TV aerial distribution system I  have here.....
    The reason I asked for the test was I was wondering if the feed was odd for any odd reason. I dont know what the circuity of the distribution amp you are using is like. I am wondering if the device's ability to pass power to a magic eye is due to a passive lowpass/DC filter which could cause all the magic eyes, and power unit  to be shunted across the coax feed? If this were the case even the power unit could present a low impedance to the magic eye signals?
   As for the reason for the one magic eye outlet giving problems, I am not sure, but something about it is odd. Hence the point about by-passing everything to see if the thing then works?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:09:16 PM by benji09 »

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 11:07:41 AM »

@benji09

Many thanks for your continued interest and suggestions, much appreciated.

I have decided to take the easier option and move the Humax PVR to the location where I have the issues, I already have a spare coax cable there which I can use to feed the RF from the Technomate modulator back to the distribution point, just requires the addition of an ethernet cable for the TV & PVR LAN access which is not a big job.

Hopefully that will resolve the issue as the control of the Humax PVR will be directly from the current, main viewing point and the remote control signal from the two remote TV's will operate as per normal via the Technomate modulator RF output feed.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 09:22:58 PM »

Best of luck with the latest attempt! My own distribution network gives T/TV, VCR, two satellite systems, and DVD recorder. I had enough problems getting that sorted out over time, so attempting remote control to rooms as well was not on. But at one point, I did construct a circuit using a photo transistor, and associated amplifier that ran via some bell wire to an LED in another room that worked just...................

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 10:30:29 AM »

We use Mediaportal, my server has a quad satellite tuner and records all our TV, which can then be watched on any computer or device in the house.

When I renovated the house I installed a satellite/TV aerieal distribution system in the loft, much like they'd use for a block of flats, we now only use just four outputs for the tuner in the server, although our bedroom TV is still connected the main TV is not, but we have a small PC in the bedroom for using Mediaportal so never use the tuner in the TV.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D