Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Going to Order a G.Fast Service from Zen  (Read 1381 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Going to Order a G.Fast Service from Zen
« on: November 05, 2019, 08:09:04 PM »

Going  to place an order for g.fast 160/30 tomorrow with Zen Internet

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Going to Order a G.Fast Service from Zen
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 09:38:43 PM »

While it is not my business to ask, can you afford it? Is it also worthwhile for your usage? I don't want to see your change your mind after ordering. :(

Zen is, while it is only a 12 month term, one of the more expensive ISPs for G.fast. I do not know how much your current price is on Plusnet for 80/20, but EE Fibre Max 1 package (160/30) is £36/m with £25 set-up fees on 18m contract (£49 thereafter). I think there's the opportunity of £115 cashback through TopCashback if you're a new customer and order online through the refer on TCB website.

I know we've been around this before, but VM might be a better choice for the value and flexibility. But overall, does the upgrade make sense?
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 10:28:56 PM »

I will look into EE g.fast. Thanks

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 04:13:00 AM »

I know we've been around this before, but VM might be a better choice for the value and flexibility. But overall, does the upgrade make sense?

I was surprise Virgin Media got upload of 35-37Mbps (has they changed from 20Meg):

Quote from: VMedia
Your Broadband speed information

We estimate that at peak times the download speed to your Virgin Media router will range between 342 and 379 Mbps and your upload speed will range between 35 and 37 Mbps. However, the actual speed you experience will vary and may be lower than your estimate. This may be due to a number of factors including your use of WiFi, your equipment, your internal wiring, peak time congestion and the number of subscribers accessing a particular website.

The minimum download speed to your Virgin Media router should not fall below 181 Mbps.  If this happens for three consecutive days or more and we are unable to fix the problem within 30 days of you reporting the problem to Virgin Media, you may have the right to exit your Virgin Media contract without penalty. If you receive a download speed to your Virgin Media router which is below the minimum download speed, please contact us.
For more information on estimated speeds, how speeds may be affected by policies such as traffic management and fair usage, our commitment to Ofcom's Broadband Speed Code and what to do if you experience speed problems, check out www.virginmedia.com/ourspeeds.

We will send you an email with this information within 7 days of sale.

Virgin Media offer me 342-379Mbps down and 35-37Mbps up for £45 a month with £35 activation fee on a 12 months contract (with £50 credit) for standalone cable broadband only (I think this far better than G.fast offer me 114-198Mbps down and 9-29Mbps up for £36 a month with £25 setup fee (18 months contract with EE)

I think I go for Virgin Media Cable and hopefully it lots more stable than last time (congestion in my area might be much better now)? and cancel my Plusnet as I am now out of contract end 22nd October 2019 but can see Plusnet account panel say Cessation charge £30.00(upon cancellation)

[Moderator edited to wrap the quotation in [quote][/quote] tags.]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 04:51:46 PM by burakkucat »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 04:55:18 AM »

Judging by what you've made us aware of on the forum before, perhaps there are better things to be spending money on. I'm just thinking about your interests.

I can understand that your VDSL connection has taken a bit of a hit, but beyond the stats do you actually notice the difference? If you do, then I think you have a reasonable reason to switch to G.fast or VM.

I don't have firsthand experience with VM but I think their network has improved. I think the M350 (£43/m with phone) might be a bit overkill, however. It might be better to start off with M100 (£33/m with phone, 10 Mbps upstream), or M200 (£38/m with phone, 20 Mbps upstream) if you need more upload speed. Those prices are for 12 month term. Don't forget about cashback at TCB or Quidco!

I don't think G.fast is a bad option, but there is an uncertainty about the upstream speed. VM might be a bit less hassle in your case and a certainly more flexible for speed options. I really don't think the upstream will be as bad as the DSL checker says, but there is really no way to know until it's live - and by the time it's live, the cooling off period of ordering will be over.

I think it's another case where I don't think you need to change anything, but that's the view of an outsider. My view is that VM is probably a better choice in this scenario due to the flexibility in contract lengths (so you can try it first if you want), various packages, and quite competitive prices compared to the G.fast alternative.

Edit: Fixed pricing error (was on mobile, sorry)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 05:55:50 AM by re0 »

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 04:52:35 AM »

Got a cracking deal with Plusnet staying for another 12 months contract for FTTC 80/20 with line only for just £22.50 all credit thanks to Gandalf (PN Staff) plus £5 further reduced from my referral scheme to get this price down to £17.50.  :)

Going to stick and staying with PN.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 05:45:14 AM »

Excellent result. Have they resolved the billing for you yet? I cannot remember.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 05:46:31 AM »

Yes Gandalf has sorted out for me as my billing has resolved now. Plus £78 in credit! :)

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 05:59:42 AM »

Very good. Better than spending doube for G.fast or VM with no real benefits! Still curious to how you got it cheaper and on a lesser contract term than a new customer.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 04:28:06 PM »

Got a cracking deal with Plusnet staying for another 12 months contract for FTTC 80/20 with line only <snip>

Going to stick and staying with PN.

That is a sensible decision. You really do not need a G.Fast service.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 12:10:58 AM »

Happy to stay with FTTC for another 12 months. Don't need G.fast or Virgin Cable.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 09:39:46 PM »

Yep, my PN billing been nightmare lately after billing has resolved but was charged me incorrect with missing discounts, missing referral scheme and missing line rental rental saver as Gandalf has to sort my bill out and agree to put it right and I am now in credit nearly £80! Plus Gandalf offer me 80/20 for 12 months inc line only for only £22.50 per month and that's will reduced further more to get the bill down to £17.50 after referral scheme. Gandalf has also credited back my parents for their loss of my referral scheme to them in the last 13 months because of my billing was suspended. But, again - Gandalf will check my next billing later this month to ensure I wasn't billing incorrect.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 10:35:43 AM »

One of my neighbour got G.fast activated this morning by openreach engineer, thanks for neighbour accepted me to talk to an engineer about G.fast of why is my house only get 114-207 down / 9-29 up and my neighbour getting 324-330 down / 31-50 up by BTw checker.

My neighbour is two next door of mine with same layout footpath, same DP, same exchange and same cabinet as both of us are underground DP telephone cable. Openreach engineer just told neighbour their actually line length is 142m from the cabinet and got max line rate of 427 down and 61 up with both noise margin set at 6dB. The engineer also replaced G.fast master socket.

The engineer are kindly have a quick look at my property and he found 4 master sockets in my house this is the reason I get low estimated G.fast but he told me not to worry because once I ordered G.fast then the engineer will check all these master sockets to find the best higher speed for G.fast and he say I should get 330/50 with no problem as he look up on his kit tool that my cabinet has the same layout as my neighbour.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 02:13:35 PM »

Yes that's true, the engineer will check the wiring providing the Openreach hasn't changed the install procedure for Amber status; I was under the impression that an engineer visit was still the norm for G.fast. The master socket will also be updated. Though it was very kind of him to check for you.

I don't know how much an impact your wiring has on your connection, but your attenuation would suggest that your line is longer than your neighbour's - it seemed more like 250m from the attenuation figure. I'm not going to debate the figures, but it is worth bearing this in mind because you can't break the laws of physics for your own line just because your neighbour's is potentially shorter (perhaps someone more knowledge could confirm whether two or more separate D-side cables could serve a single DP?).

Worth considering whether you need those speeds, however.