Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can a bad 'E' Side impact FTTC?  (Read 1699 times)

sotonsam

• Reg Member
Re: Can a bad 'E' Side impact FTTC?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2022, 11:15:49 AM »

Just as an update to this, Openreach worked on the cab today (quick turn around). Now my phone line is normal, i've resync'ed and I've got these stats:

Current Rate   77237 kbps   11993 kbps
Maximum Rate   97659 kbps   20132 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio   6.3 dB   6.8 dB

Incredible change up in the downstream, that's given me about 30Mb more speed as I was syncing at around 42Mbps before. I'm not sure if it was just the 'E' side which was fixed or if he found other issues...but that's an incredible change up really.

Any reason why the upstream is at is though? I'd have thought I'd get closer to the 20 for that, given that I'm almost maximum on my downstream.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 11:18:51 AM by sotonsam »
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2022, 11:35:17 AM »

That's a surprisingly low upstream, are you using the Vodafone supplied router, are you on a filtered master socket or using the supplied micro filter?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2022, 11:58:29 AM »

I think their jargon is wrong though, I think they meant PCP when they stated E side.

I think the jargon fits.
The E-Side terminates in the PCP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2022, 12:11:00 PM »

That's a surprisingly low upstream, are you using the Vodafone supplied router, are you on a filtered master socket or using the supplied micro filter?

At the moment I'm still on the Vodafone supplied router, I had to put that on so they could troubleshoot it as they wouldn't go near it otherwise. I have an original Openreach VDSL2 modem from a few years ago I can use to see if that makes any difference, but I'm looking to get one of those Zyxel devices longer term. I've plugged a filter into the test socket as Vodafone also wanted me to do it that way etc. I do have a filtered MK4 faceplate as well to put back on at some point.

I'll probably leave it on the Vodafone router until I get that as I don't want to keep resyncing it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:16:18 PM by sotonsam »

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2022, 12:48:48 PM »

11993 looks like it could be a banded figure (banded at 12Mb) but I would expect the SNRM to be higher than 6.8dB.

It's rather odd and I would be interested to see the stats from another modem when you get round to it
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2022, 05:47:27 PM »

It resynced this afternoon again and the upload is now what I'd expect. All in all pretty chuffed with the result and I guess if it was mainly the 'E' Side with the fault then it shows it can significantly impact FTTC.

Current Rate   73868 kbps   19908 kbps
Maximum Rate   97512 kbps   19824 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio   6.3 dB   6 dB
Attenuation   DS1 7.9 dB, DS2 19.3 dB, DS3 30.3 dB   US0 3.3 dB, US1 15.1 dB, US2 23.8 dB
Power   13.6 dBm   4.9 dBm

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2022, 05:59:40 PM »

Had a trawl through internal sites earlier, and the consensus of opinion from engineers all across the country ... was that E-side contact faults such as 'Battery' and 'Earth', will indeed affect the FTTC service, as the contact noise will travel through the DSLAM filter, which is there to act as a filter to block noise from a balanced differential pair - or something along those lines (apologies if I've not worded it correctly).

If I get more time tomorrow I shall continue in my quest to get a better definition/scientific explanation .... then one of the boffins can break it down into laymans terms.  ;) :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2022, 06:13:12 PM »

Had a trawl through internal sites earlier, and the consensus of opinion from engineers all across the country ... was that E-side contact faults such as 'Battery' and 'Earth', will indeed affect the FTTC service, as the contact noise will travel through the DSLAM filter, which is there to act as a filter to block noise from a balanced differential pair - or something along those lines (apologies if I've not worded it correctly).

If I get more time tomorrow I shall continue in my quest to get a better definition/scientific explanation .... then one of the boffins can break it down into laymans terms.  ;) :)

That's kinda what I was thinking, a filter can only do so much as at some level the two sides are still electrically connected.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2022, 06:59:35 PM »

Aha - that's a great way of putting into layman's terms.  :)

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2022, 07:39:46 PM »

Thanks for your input, all very interesting! Hopefully the Kelly's engineer who did my first install will get some training now  ;)

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything