Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Intense rain? DSL copper line test itself fails  (Read 1078 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Intense rain? DSL copper line test itself fails
« on: January 31, 2020, 11:48:24 PM »

The incessant rain has been so heavy that I have been wondering what the likely effects on DSL might be, where copper lies in or on the ground?

1. I got some weird BT test results "algorithm incomplete" or some such, telling me that the test procedure itself had failed to complete as normal, when I ran a copper line test on my line 4 using clueless.aa.net.uk’s remote test functions.

2. Line #4 had been running about 10% under normal (v high) speed downstream, so I checked up on it and that’s when I got this failure message. It instructs that you retry the test later, which I did, and still the same thing.

The other lines are running at exceptionally high speeds. So it was just this one line though. That has to surely speak agains this theory about lying in water as all lines would be the same?

3. A weird fluke. I power-cycled the modem on line 4 and the speed went right up. So so much for the standing water on line 4 theory.

Live sync rates:
  #1: down 3151 kbps, up 525 kbps
  #2: down 3059 kbps, up 557 kbps
  #3: down 3100 kbps, up 412 kbps
  #4: down 3133 kbps, up 531 kbps

Also as a general, unrelated point about the otherwise very high speeds; I wonder if this makes any sense: very long range RF interference gets attenuated by torrential rain, so the DSL SNR improves? Could that work?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:52:54 PM by Weaver »

anything