Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Factory Reset Router.  (Read 1979 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Factory Reset Router.
« on: November 16, 2019, 10:51:01 AM »

Good morning all,

I have a problem with my BT hub 6 connection to the Youview box failing, and so I lose the internet connection to my tv on which I watch BT sport. on the Samsung smart tv. to re connect I have been doing a factory reset of the hub.

My you view box is connected to the tv via power line connectors.
The open reach engineer who came today told me the powerline connectors are no good and fail, as my router/hub is upstairs while the tv youview box is down stairs and so both are on different electrical circuits.

A hard connection via ethernet is out of the question at the moment.

My question is, was this good advice?  If so which wireless network extender would you recommend?

Any advice would be appreciated, as my IT skills are limited.

Regards,

Peter

His advice was to use a wireless network etender with ethernet port to connect the Youview box and tv.

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Factory Reset Router.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 12:16:07 PM »

I have some questions and notes to make. Let me break it down into smaller chunks.

I have a problem with my BT hub 6 connection to the Youview box failing, and so I lose the internet connection to my tv on which I watch BT sport. on the Samsung smart tv. to re connect I have been doing a factory reset of the hub.
Sounds odd that a factory reset of the hub itself is required. Does restarting the YouView box not allow it to reconnect? What about disconnecting and reconnecting the powerline?
Another question is how long does it typically last until the problem occurs?

My you view box is connected to the tv via power line connectors.
The open reach engineer who came today told me the powerline connectors are no good and fail, as my router/hub is upstairs while the tv youview box is down stairs and so both are on different electrical circuits.
Powerline won't work on different electrical circuits. Period. At least from what I know. They are not an ideal but they are not a bad solution for extending connectivity where there is limited wireless or where devices in another place do not have wireless.
Do you know the make and model of the powerline kit you have?

My question is, was this good advice?  If so which wireless network extender would you recommend?

Any advice would be appreciated, as my IT skills are limited.

. . .

His advice was to use a wireless network etender with ethernet port to connect the Youview box and tv.
I will leave the wireless extender recommendations to other members since I have not bothered with them for about 5 years.
Was it good advice? I am not sure since I am not convinced a wireless extender will resolve the issue. And I have no experience with YouView.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 10:03:00 AM »

Agree that Powerline is far from ideal, but usually they will either work or not. Certainly in my house they will not connect between the two ring main circuits, but I know that is not the case for everyone who has them.
The fact that resetting the hub temporarily resolves the issue suggests to me that this more likely an IP address or conflict issue than anything to do with the Powerline connections.
I think my first line of attack would be to allocate the Youview box a fixed IP address. The easiest way is probably to get it in a working state and then note its IP settings and set them as the manual settings. Than also set the hub to always use that address for the Youview box.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 10:51:43 AM »

The fact that resetting the hub temporarily resolves the issue suggests to me that this more likely an IP address or conflict issue than anything to do with the Powerline connections.
I think my first line of attack would be to allocate the Youview box a fixed IP address. The easiest way is probably to get it in a working state and then note its IP settings and set them as the manual settings. Than also set the hub to always use that address for the Youview box.
^^^^ this

I was hoping understating when it occurred may indicate whether it seemed like a lease issue/IP address conflict.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 03:24:02 PM »

Hi again,

First let me thank you all for the advice.

The point about the ip address may be beyond my abilities, but I'll keep it in mind for my sons to try maybe.

The Powerline adapters are BT's own, one piece of advice I was given by a BT engineer was to plug the adapters into a double socket and press the re set button until they 'spoke' to each other, this didn't always work.  I haven't tried switching them off and on yet, but my last point may cover this.

How often? at first  maybe a week or more, but recently I have had to re set twice a day on occasion, I usually find the fault in the morning after everything has been ok the previous evening, but not always.

All other devices connect to the internet ok.

Regards,

Peter

machare

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 05:33:21 PM »

The success of wifi extenders will partly depend on how many nearby wifi networks they have to compete with.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 08:32:36 AM »

The Powerline adapters are BT's own, one piece of advice I was given by a BT engineer was to plug the adapters into a double socket and press the re set button until they 'spoke' to each other, this didn't always work.  I haven't tried switching them off and on yet, but my last point may cover this.

This is ok advice for setting them up initially, but once paired together they should stay that way.
When the Youview fails is there any indication on the Powerline plugs that they have lost connection with each other, as they usually have status lights on them?
As I said earlier, the way you resolve this by resetting the hub does not suggest a Powerline issue, but it's worth checking just to be sure.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 09:57:45 AM »

Hi Tubaman,

When the adapters fail one of the pair of blue lights goes out, this is one of the first things I look for for.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 10:43:59 AM »

Hi Tubaman,

When the adapters fail one of the pair of blue lights goes out, this is one of the first things I look for for.

So, just to be clear, are the adaptors usually showing as still connected when the Youview box stops working? If so, have you tried rebooting the Youview box instead of the router when things fail?

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 07:25:23 PM »

Yes the two blue lights on the adapters are on, and no I haven't tried re booting the youview box, at least not recently, in the past I tried that to no avail, but I was not aware of the set up of the adapters then, if the fault occurs again I shall try a youview box re boot.

anything