Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Interpreting DSL Stats  (Read 1515 times)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Interpreting DSL Stats
« on: November 12, 2019, 04:16:12 PM »

Sorry for perhaps asking an ignorant question but can someone please explain the difference between the plotting of CRC and ES. I ask because I’ve had a thread on the ADSL forum for some time. I get a burst of CRC,s every day at 0919 I’ve long put this down to a timer ( recently perhaps proved as after the return to GMT they occurred at 0819 for a few days until the responsible person reset the clock, but a bit surprising at the accuracy of the reset)

When I get the CRC burst ( 1000) it results in a SNRM drop ( occasionally enough to resync) but few ES. Most of the rest of the time ES and CRC seem related in a fairy constant ration of 3:1 approx.

I can’t do anything to source the cause, just interested in the plots and the few ES
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Interpreting DSL Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 06:46:56 PM »

CRCs are monitored continuously (by default, per minute). The values shown in the CRC/minute graph are actual error numbers.

ES (errored seconds) are a count of seconds in which one or more errors occurred. So one ES could contain a single error or a large number of errors.

So it's quite possible (and fairly common) for a short burst of errors to rack up a large number of CRCs in a few seconds, and so very few ES.
  Eric

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: Interpreting DSL Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 08:45:15 PM »

Thanks Eric.

Appreciate the clarification

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

anything