Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question regarding dslchecker.bt.com attainable speeds  (Read 2939 times)

btjtaylor

Question regarding dslchecker.bt.com attainable speeds
« on: November 11, 2019, 04:22:31 PM »

Hi all

I have a VDSL connection with Origin Broadband, "Max" which is an up to 80/20 service,

The "dslchecker.bt.com" site gives me the following:

I'm using an ASUS DSL-N16 router upgraded to latest firmware

I have upgraded my master socket to an Openreach MK3 one and run a DSL-only extension to my under stairs cupboard where my network wiring resides using Cat5e cable into a patch panel. I've got a short twisted pair cable connected from the patch panel to the router.

The speeds are acceptable but im wondering if there's anything more I can do to optimise things to get a bit? My speeds are as follows which is only just on the "Low" side of things on the checker:

I have forced the SNR margin inside the router's advanced options to 4db but i haven't changed anything else:

It's fair enough if this is the max i can expect I just wondered if there anything I could do to reach more towards the top end of what the speed checker says.. or am I misunderstanding it?

Thanks in advance

mrk26

• Reg Member
Re: Question regarding dslchecker.bt.com attainable speeds
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 10:00:48 PM »

Well like for me you should set profile 17 rather than 30, secondly don't reduce snr until you are on fastpatch on booth downstream and upstream, I will suggest to increase snr to get line more stable so you should get fastpatch faster on downstream.
Looking on your dsl checker your ip profile is 46.02 and yor max achievable speed os 43Mb/s.
You need to get some stats to see what errors appear on your connection.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 11:45:22 PM »

Your stats seem to suggest to show the line should be capable of a lot faster on the downstream -  in the 60MBs I would have thought.

As advised, I would remove all your tweaks and set the profile to 17 and post your system log  again.

It would also be interesting to see what those stats are if the modem is connected directly to your master/test socket excluding your extension wiring

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 11:05:30 AM »

My advice is the following:

1. Safely power down the modem.
2. Unplug all wiring including the DSL patch cable.
3. Connect another modem
4. Have a ceremonial burning of the Asus, which isn't for for purpose.

The comments about 17a are irrelevant. It can only connect on 17a so having multiple options set or an auto setting is completely irrelevant to how the line will perform.

It might make sync slightly quicker but that's about it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 03:30:20 PM »

Agree with @j0hn above.
I think that Asus has a MediaTek chipset and could well be the cause of all of your woes.
Look at getting a Broadcom based modem/router and you'll likely see quite a difference.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

btjtaylor

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 11:22:30 AM »

Finally got around to replacing the Asus router with a DrayTek Vigor 2760 last week, which I believe is a good choice for my ECI cabinet (Lantiq chipset), it's not the most up to date model but still has current firmware, is on a list of Openreach approved modems I found and was absolutely dirt cheap on ebay (£10).

Checked this morning and i'm now on Fastpath, speed has climbed to 44mbit at 6db SNR margin,

So things are looking up!

Might this change to 3db over time if the line stays stable? I know on this draytek you can manipulate the SNR margin somewhat on the command line but want to avoid any tweaks/unnecessary reboots for now

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 12:26:22 PM »

No the SNR margin won't change.
You're on an ECI cabinet which doesn't have G.INP and so a fixed 6dB target is always used..

If you want a lower SNRM target then you'll have to manually tweak that.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

btjtaylor

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 09:28:37 PM »

Thanks for that,

I've tweaked my router's settings and now syncing at 53246 downstream at 3db - best i've ever seen!

Will see how I get on with that, hopefully I dont end up on interleaved again

sof006

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 11:54:56 AM »

Thanks for that,

I've tweaked my router's settings and now syncing at 53246 downstream at 3db - best i've ever seen!

Will see how I get on with that, hopefully I dont end up on interleaved again

I would be careful setting the downstream to 3db, ECI cabinets really don't like that. If its not stable the exchange will stick you on interleaving and your speed will go down.

btjtaylor

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 04:13:16 PM »

Just noticed the errors climbing so i've switched it back to default (0db delta, so 6db)

Will leave well alone !

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 09:16:21 PM »

I would be careful setting the downstream to 3db, ECI cabinets really don't like that. If its not stable the exchange will stick you on interleaving and your speed will go down.

I had a really stable 3dB on the ECI cabinet and the strange thing is, it suddenly banded my line and has been ever since. :(

Its not really hurt anything as it just means I'm stuck at 6dB fastpath, but its puzzling why it chose to do it in the first place.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

btjtaylor

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 11:36:58 AM »

Not sure of the reason behind it but on 6db my latency is lower,

You can see the latency go down at the time of the change (4.15pm)

Seeing a bit of loss on the BQM (first time i've used it) ... my ISP isn't the best though, I guess thats down to them ...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:39:03 AM by btjtaylor »

btjtaylor

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 04:39:14 PM »

A question - if the downstream speed on my line is syncing at ~43000 (43mbit), and on the DSL checker it says handback speed 44.3mbit, should I ask my ISP to raise it with Openreach? Or is it a waste of time?

The checker says as follows:

My router stats:

I can't think of anything more I can do - I've optimised my home wiring as much as possible

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 07:42:19 PM »

You could try, but bear in mind that handback threshold ultimately only means you can leave your contract without penalty due to poor speeds, not that they HAVE to fix it.

There is nothing in those statistics to suggest there is a fault they could fix, the fact its on fastpath suggests its a relatively clean connection so likely just suffering crosstalk.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 07:44:44 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 08:11:28 AM »

I'd still be tempted to get hold of a cheap Broadcom based modem to try as matching modem to cabinet chipset does not guarantee the best results.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A
Pages: [1] 2

anything