Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Possible HR fault?  (Read 1406 times)

DMZ

Possible HR fault?
« on: November 10, 2019, 03:36:24 AM »

This is posted on the BT forum but maybe I should have posted on here first. (Let's just say people are more likeable here. )

Original post;

Hi community,

I've had some on and off issues with my internet.

I kept getting a brief one off disconnection (Enough to kick me off my gaming sessions.) According to the Smart Hub the DSL uptime can be back to zero or System uptime and I even had both reset indicating something is disconnecting.

I thought it was the boiler kicking in causing SHINE but I've been here for 16 months and it's only been a problem since September. So it would've happened sooner. I appear to be interleaved too which isn't a surprise.

I got fed up so I used BT's report a fault and after all the filling in, it concluded; 'There is a fault outside your home.' An estimated fix of the end of November 14th. Now when I look for the fault it doesn't appear in the 'Open Faults' or 'Closed Faults' on MyBT. I wonder where it went..

.. So I decided to use a corded landline for the first time to listen for noise and after about a minute or two the Smart Hub disconnected, I think there was a background 'woosh' sound out of nowhere or some noise then clear.

Then calling 17070 I tried the quiet line test, I heard a little bit of noise it was small but just enough I could tell there was something then a totally clear line or what appears to be clear.

I forgot the sequence in order but I remember; Purple, Orange, Pink then steady Blue. Flashing or static I can't say for sure it was quick-ish.

I'll have to test it again soon.

Is this a HR fault and would this possibly cause the one off drops too?

Thanks.

Additional info;

Master Socket 5C

MK4 faceplate

No extensions

Hub stats;

Serial number:
+084316+NQ81559310

Firmware version:
SG4B1000E01E

Firmware updated:
12-Oct-2019

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:
0 Days, 1 Hours 25 Minutes 20 Seconds

Data rate:
20.00 Mbps / 56.67 Mbps

Maximum data rate:
22012 / 67781

Noise margin:
6.6 dB / 6.3 dB

Line attenuation:
14.7 dB

Signal attenuation:
0 dB / 14.7 dB

VPI / VCI:
0/38

Modulation:
G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:
Fast Path

Data sent / received:
15 MB Uploaded / 407 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:
bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:
Not active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:
BTHub6-5S93

2.4 GHz wireless channel:
Channel 11

5 GHz wireless network name:
BTHub6-5S93-5

5 GHz wireless channel:
Channel 48

Wireless security:
WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:
Mode 1

Firewall:
On

MAC address:
AC:3B:77:EF:07:AB

Software variant:
-

Boot loader:

BT DSL Checker;

High  Low   High     Low

80     62.2    19      18

80     59. 7   17.1   20

Downstream Handback Threshold;

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Possible HR fault?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 04:36:38 PM »

Obviously it is impossible for anyone to "diagnose at a distance via a fourm" but, from your description of the "whoosh" sound, there could be a joint that is beginning to show non-linear tendencies. If there is no continuous noise, when listening via a wired telephone, it is unlikely that the suspect joint would be easily found.

In the quiescent state (telephone not in use, modem/router connected) there would be no current drawn from the exchange "battery". When the telephone handset is lifted, the circuit is completed; the line is looped, current then flows around the loop. That current flow through an "iffy" joint can produce a momentary "whoosh" sound. If the current is large enough to "heal the joint" (i.e. it acts as a "wetting current") the noise will cease . . . until next time.

Does the modem/router re-train when an incoming call is made to your telephone? If yes, that is another indicator of a suspect joint.

Until such time as the fault becomes "hard", i.e. the joint has "ripened", and the noise is constant it is unlikely that Openreach would accept a fault report.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

DMZ

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 09:47:52 PM »

Fair enough, I just thought HR fault straight away after it happened. Interesting read though thanks!

It was the first time in forever I used a landline since being here and wanted to see what would be observed. In all honesty I wasn't expecting the sound (Which was momentarily.) nor the router to disconnect twice.

I haven't had the chance of calling the landline due to an accident..

.. When your 4 year old nephew throws your mobile down the loo to see if it swims. It wasn't water proof, it's kind of an oldie smart phone from 2015. So I'll have to buy another one whenever possible. I suspect it may do but if not would it still be an iffy joint?

And would that be why I get one off disconnections (Literally just one.) whenever it feels like it? There's no pattern.

If it is just the case of waiting for it to worsen in time then that's ok with me as I'm sure it would easier to solve.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:52:06 PM by DMZ »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 10:09:04 PM »

And would that be why I get one off disconnections (Literally just one.) whenever it feels like it? There's no pattern.

That is really not possible to answer. Perhaps it is best to say that, at present, there is no discernible pattern to the disconnections.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

DMZ

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 02:21:41 AM »

Okey dokey well thanks for your time.
If only the Smart Hubs were compatible with these graphs and things everyone uses on here it would be very useful, they can sometimes give a clue.  ::)