Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Use of "Green" in ISP's name  (Read 901 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Use of "Green" in ISP's name
« on: December 12, 2019, 08:17:41 PM »

I’d be deeply suspicious of an ISP that used the word ‘green’ in its identity.  Imho,  almost certainly a case of ‘greenwashing’, jumping on the environmental bandwagon to try and win a few customers, rather than trying to win customers by providing a good service.

Emphasise, above is just an opinion, based on no hard facts.   But that opinion extends to “I personally wouldn’t touch them with a barge-pole”.    :D

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Use of "Green" in ISP's name
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 11:21:36 PM »

I'm confused, one minute you've renewed with Plusnet, next minute you've ordered Virgin Media and now you're on g.FAST ...
Ditto. He might as well have them all at once then he can switch over to a different connection each time the wind changes direction.

... with some ISP we've never heard of before?
I've heard of Green ISP before. Browni uses them, according to his sig. I agree with sevenlayermuddle with his opinion about the naming of the ISP:
I’d be deeply suspicious of an ISP that used the word ‘green’ in its identity.  Imho,  almost certainly a case of ‘greenwashing’, jumping on the environmental bandwagon to try and win a few customers, rather than trying to win customers by providing a good service.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 12:14:15 AM »

I totally disagree with the bandwagon comments.

Founded in 2003, Green ISP is a not-for-profit, forward thinking, innovative Internet Services Provider (ISP), which aims to secure its vision of being securely placed to meet the understanding and requirements of our fast changing world, society and environment.

They've been on the go since before Greta Thumpdump was a twinkle in her dad's eye.

It's a not for profit company, what bandwagon are they jumping on?
People who run not for profit companies tend to care about the issues involved.

I've been an on/off customer since 2009. Fantastic ISP with great values.

Some people just don't like Green companies or anything climate change related.
They tend to be old biggoted Tories.

Says more about the person with the sceptical views than the Green company imo.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 12:16:40 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 12:24:50 AM »

I totally disagree with the bandwagon comments.

They've been on the go since before Greta Thumpdump was a twinkle in her dad's eye.

It's a not for profit company, what bandwagon are they jumping on?
People who run not for profit companies tend to care about the issues involved.

I've been an on/off customer since 2009. Fantastic ISP with great values.

Some people just don't like Green companies or anything climate change related.
They tend to be old biggoted Tories.

Says more about the person with the sceptical views than the Green company imo.

All opinions valid of course.   Note however, I went to some lengths to emphasise that I was expressing just a personal opinion.

@J0hn, is yours just an opinion too?   Or does the fact that you name the Swedish child entitle you to state as ‘fact’, not ‘opinion’.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 03:35:15 AM »

Perhaps I am quick to judge having not tried the service or reviewed its impact on the environment - I was looking more on the face of it, though perhaps in this case it can be substantiated. I am allowed to be skeptical of a company's intention even if my skepticism turns out to be wrong, and I'll eat my words. But this does not mean that I do not believe climate change; I am just cautious of the usage of "green", especially when it used in marketing or products.

This little conversation started with opinions on a company's intention, then politics were introduced. Sure, maybe the bandwagon comments prompted it, and perhaps the election is very fresh in our minds, but I do not believe it was intended to start a political discussion.

I think this thread may need to be pruned/have off-topic discussion moved into its own topic since I do not want to plague this current thread with beliefs. Regardless of what happens, please keep it civil, guys.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 05:59:55 AM »

I think this thread may need to be pruned/have off-topic discussion moved into its own topic since I do not want to plague this current thread with beliefs.

Probably not a bad idea.   I stand by by views on what I regard as the green/environmental bandwagon, but this thread’s maybe not the place.... would have no objections to this thread being pruned. :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 08:11:28 AM »

All opinions valid of course.   Note however, I went to some lengths to emphasise that I was expressing just a personal opinion.

@J0hn, is yours just an opinion too?   Or does the fact that you name the Swedish child entitle you to state as ‘fact’, not ‘opinion’.

I'm not allowed an opinion?

The fact I called her Greta Thumpdump should have said enough about my opinion of her.
I'm no fan.
Why would me quoting a teenage brat mean I'm spouting fact and not my opinion.

I'm a young, progressively minded individual.
I make a point to make a point, and defend such views.

I wouldn't have mentioned anything if others hadn't randomly attacked the ethos of not just this fantastic ISP, but any company with green in their name.
I will continue to do so.

If you put out random opinions like that in a broadband forum you will get responses like so.

I am allowed to be skeptical of a company's intention

And I'm allowed to defend such scepticism, no? No idea why you need to bold that like I did or said something awful.

You're judging a company for having a word in its name.

There are differing views in the world. Keep it on topic in the first place and others won't feel a need to defend their own positions.
Keep the climate change scepticism in the chit chat section perhaps?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 08:13:44 AM by j0hn »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 08:58:47 AM »

I think the thing is J0hn that I, and maybe only me, have become highly sceptical of the word ‘green’ in a commercial setting or trading name or product name as, nearly always, it is insincere and/or misguided (ie, not really environmentally friendly).    That is just an opinion, but it is an opinion based on personal observations that I could back up with many examples.   It has become so prolific that yes, my scepticism has become simply a gut-reaction to the word.   I’m probably not going to change as long as that reaction continues to prove, very often, to be justified.

If this ISP is the exception then I wish them well and will try to remember that they are the exception.    There is certainly nothing wrong, and plenty that is right, about any organisation that genuinely sets out to do the right thing for the environment, regardless of trading names.

I still think that maybe it would be in everybody’s interests if this thread were pruned somewhat.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 09:08:01 AM »

Wow, this escalated quickly.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 09:36:58 AM »

Why not take your green scepticism to a relevant forum or the relevant section in this forum then.

Someone simply mentioned they signed up to this ISP (this was a broadband forum last time I checked).

https://www.greenisp.net/about/

An about page to be proud of.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 01:38:31 PM »

Seeing as this has been moved to chit chat, how's this for green power production?

https://www.kentrenewableltd.com/

I've heard there is around 40 truck loads of wood coming in every week from all over the country, its even rumoured to be coming from Poland, how's that environmentally friendly?

I'm pretty certain the tree's they cut down don't grow back quick enough to sustain supply, and as for all the diesel burnt bringing the wood in I'm sure that would produce more electric if hooked up to a big generator.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 02:14:18 PM »

Really?

Our plant burns locally sourced wood fuel to generate heat and power for Discovery Park and export electricity to the national grid. We generate enough electricity to supply the equivalent of 50,000 homes and save over 100,000 tons of CO2  every year. It’s difficult to visualise how much that is but would look the same as 165,000 really big hot air balloons and the saving is equal to over 1 million plane flights to Paris. Around 15 – 20% of the clean, green energy we generate is supplied directly to the tenants of Discovery Park, who also benefit from the heat generated by the steam from our plant.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 03:45:31 PM »

Well, I can't be certain but I see a constant stream of trucks going in, and my colleagues apparently know people in the know. I'm sure the trucks I've seen aren't local, also bear in mind you can't go much further south east of where we are.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 03:52:51 PM »

Before I say anything else this is just my opinion.....

I am also wary of anything which says it is green, that's not to say I wont use it or get with it, just that I dont take anything on face value. I'm sure there are some companies who use the green tag when it is not appropriate but not all.

I have driven past the said place in Sandwich several times and what bothers me is that burning all that wood must release at least some of the carbon captured during its growth and yes they burn it a hell of a lot faster than the trees grow back. Their wood also arrives on large trucks which belch out huge amounts of pollutants as they are diesel and that's without counting any coming from overseas which I'm sure a lot does as we dont have that many forests to cut down! I am simply not convinced burning wood is a renewable in the true sense that wave/wind/solar is (at least once built). Actually I think for the UK wave power would be preferable since we have a huge coastline with two tides per 24 hours which do not stop unlike solar or wind.

That said I do believe we need to address climate change BUT without getting the biggest polluting countries to change (USA China and probably India and probably others) the UK alone can only ever make a miniscule contribution.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 05:43:00 PM »

I wonder if “locally sourced” might mean “purchased from a local merchant”, leaving the local merchant free to import it from elsewhere?

In order for a power station like that to impress me, I’d want to properly analyse their claims.  For example, they say they are “saving x amount of CO2 every year”.  Compared with what?   Why not just tell me how much C02 this modern plant produces (including the diesel for the lorries other overheads), and then I can make my own comparisons with alternative technologies. 

Some of the old coal-fired power stations for example were so massive that they could justify their own railway connections for fuel supplies, perhaps (I don’t know) a more environment-friendly method than lorries?   I have no idea to what extent, if any, things like that might tip the balance in favour of coal.  It’s really quite hard to find the answers, other than to just take it on trust from politicians and campaigners  - which I never will.