Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help resolving gaming lag for nephew  (Read 2452 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Help resolving gaming lag for nephew
« on: November 08, 2019, 08:21:04 PM »

Hi all

my nephew who lives in a mad house of 5 is on Talk Talk, dunno if its ADSL or VDSL ADSL on Origin, but he gets lags all the time as his mother and sister facebook on mobiles while netflix is going on the TV.,.. ive told him his best options is to get a 2nd line installed for £130 and pay £24 a month for his OWN broadband with Plusnet wired in straight into his room...but... if this isnt an option whats next?

would a gaming router help? they use the supplied pap and they are all on the wifi too

as xDSL uses thousands of channels over 'x' Mhz cant gaming routers cap off certain "tones" just for the gamer?

any help is appreciated

thanks
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:48:27 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Help resolving gaming lag for nephew
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »

as xDSL uses thousands of channels over 'x' Mhz cant gaming routers cap off certain "tones" just for the gamer?

No. There is no means to do as such.  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:43:24 PM »

No. There is no means to do as such.  :no:

so what do these 'gaming' routers do exactly? seems to be 'snake oil' to me

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 08:47:58 PM »

...I also just found out they are on ADSL on Origin not Talk Talk :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 08:49:56 PM »

so what do these 'gaming' routers do exactly? seems to be 'snake oil' to me

I would go as far as to say that they probably just part the gullible from their money.  ::)  The only thing I think that a "gaming router" might have is more prominent QoS settings. But as I have no experience of those so named devices, perhaps other members may be able to comment? 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 08:55:18 PM »

ive told him his best options is to get a 2nd line installed for £130 and pay £24 a month for his OWN broadband with Plusnet wired in straight into his room...but... if this isnt an option whats next?

Wouldn't a cheaper/better option just be to upgrade the existing ADSL connection to FTTC if that's available

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 09:38:04 PM »

Wouldn't a cheaper/better option just be to upgrade the existing ADSL connection to FTTC if that's available
I'd second that. Buying a better router won't make any difference for 5 users using an ADSL connection. I'd like to say most ISP-provided routers can handle quite a few simultaneous WiFi users without an issue, especially when the underlying connection is ADSL. Plus, QoS impmentations tend to be a bit finicky unless it is ISP-side.

If there is no FTTC available then it might be worth looking at alternative arrangements, whether that is an additional ADSL connection or mobile broadband connection (note: mobile broadband may not be ideal for gaming, but may be suitable for other users in the household to use).

Just my 2 cents.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 10:16:45 PM »

Hi

Most of the gaming servers will try to equalise all users who play online

Gaming lag should not make much difference as the lowest lag is increased to attempt equalisation to the highest lag

Now there is a trick called light switch (if you get caught they will ban you) which induces very high lag and when servers equalised, you turn it off and now your lag returns to normal giving you the edge

As a gamer, I see this affect from other players but thankfully the games I play it does not matter mostly, as they are racing simulation games.

So lag should not make much difference if equalised

Many thanks

John

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 10:46:38 AM »

My god son was griping about lagging out during Fortnite... I told him that is more to do with backgound CPU tasks rather than internet speed.
Most gaming packets of info are only 265Kb at most so whether you're using ADSL or VDSL should not make much difference.
He did his own research (he's just turning 13yrs) and has confirmed my info and has now cured all his lagging woes ;) by tweaking his Windows 10.

Above info is for PC gaming, I don't know anything about Xbox/Play stations.

His parents are also avid Netflix users. They are using 40Mb John Lewis VDSL connected by a TP Link VR900v1 Modem router, hardwired to 2 PC's a LG E7 oled and a few Laptops/mobile devices.
No QOS has been set. Ping test was 18ms to BBC.

For those still awake at this point  ;D more info detailed here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=727946014
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 10:57:24 AM »

I know nothing about gaming, other than they use 'port forwarding' as a means of achieving better times ??.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 11:22:32 AM »

Hi

I’m sorry I do not believe port forwarding gives better times

Port forwarding does not create or use traffic, it just directs traffic to a given device

You could use upnp if you do not know how or what ports to forward

I have an Xbox and it is treble nat’d and traverses multiple edge systems because I prefer hardwire over Wi-Fi and do not see any lag.

Yes we have multiple vdsl and ping times to bbc are approx 25ms using business 80/20

The rule of thumb I go by is anything less then 50ms is not noticeable and game servers equalise lag

Many thanks

John

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »

What speed is the ADSL, are there alternative options such as VDSL, does he get lag when the the others are not watching Netflix, are there any cloud backups that could be running?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 11:25:17 PM »

@d2d4j come on Lag Switching has been dead for a while using that method  :lol:

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 03:40:22 AM »

Prime example of where SQM QoS will do wonders.

I have used an 8/1 connection where anyone else opening a youtube video would ruin a game, was fixed with SQM.

ANY cheap openwrt compatible router will be able to shape an ADSL2+ connection with ease.

The archer c7 is mentioned by most, but we'd need more info for an in depth look about what is cheap and available to you.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 09:40:42 AM »

Hi

@hatrix haha yes but technique still used by some and you would be surprised that some players do not know of it

So I’m clear, I am not the best player and win, but I play fair and have friends all around the world that are similar to myself, play fair and help other players

I am though in the top 1% of racing players on certain racing sims, shown from track time and must be clean laps.

Many thanks

John
Pages: [1] 2