Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help resolving gaming lag for nephew  (Read 2454 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member
Re: Help resolving gaming lag for nephew
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 07:35:29 PM »

My god son was griping about lagging out during Fortnite... I told him that is more to do with backgound CPU tasks rather than internet speed.
Most gaming packets of info are only 265Kb at most so whether you're using ADSL or VDSL should not make much difference.
He did his own research (he's just turning 13yrs) and has confirmed my info and has now cured all his lagging woes ;) by tweaking his Windows 10.

Above info is for PC gaming, I don't know anything about Xbox/Play stations.

His parents are also avid Netflix users. They are using 40Mb John Lewis VDSL connected by a TP Link VR900v1 Modem router, hardwired to 2 PC's a LG E7 oled and a few Laptops/mobile devices.
No QOS has been set. Ping test was 18ms to BBC.

For those still awake at this point  ;D more info detailed here https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=727946014
Go wired cat 5-6 cable  is the only way to reduce the latency and variations of it, which is what is causing the lag , and the choice of router will make little to no difference

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Help resolving gaming lag for nephew
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 08:58:35 PM »

As others have said it is usually more advanced configuration for QoS

I believe the Netgear gaming routers run on DUMA OS which has some pretty neat monitoring options plus tools to easily partition bandwidth and select location of gaming servers to keep latency to a minimum.  It's the GUI which makes it stand out from other routers as it has some really nice graphical representations which make things like bandwidth allocation per device a breeze - even for a noob.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]