Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Chromes pw manager issue  (Read 4007 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Chromes pw manager issue
« on: November 08, 2019, 04:54:46 PM »

Does anyone have any experience with the Chrome browser? Specifically the password manager area?

I'm trying to look up a password that got saved in the browser. But every time I click on the eye symbol to reveal it, a box comes up, windows security, saying

"Google Chrome is trying to show passwords. Type your windows password to allow this."

I'm trying to bypass this function as I just want to click on the eye symbol and it reveal it, like it does in other browsers.

I looked up on some websites and it says to type chrome://flags in to the address bar and to disable the password manager reauthentication. But I can't find that on the list. As far as I know I dont even have a password set for this computer.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Chromes pw manager issue
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 06:44:56 PM »

Were you signed in to a Google account when you saved the passwords? Is so try https://passwords.google.com/
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:42:25 PM »

Were you signed in to a Google account when you saved the passwords? Is so try https://passwords.google.com/

I've found that I can sign in with my hotmail/outlook password. I think at one time I accidently had to use it to login to windows one time.

It seems odd that they previously had a way to disabled chrome asking for the password and now they removed that ability.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 09:21:25 AM »

Check the group policy template for chrome, the setting might be in there.

chrome:flags is in the process of been gutted :( the dev's have decided to simplify the browser again so barely anything can be tuned, most of the long term tunables are locked down to group policies or undocumented flags.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 12:54:37 PM »

Check the group policy template for chrome, the setting might be in there.

chrome:flags is in the process of been gutted :( the dev's have decided to simplify the browser again so barely anything can be tuned, most of the long term tunables are locked down to group policies or undocumented flags.

I checked that after I googled, but the option to disabled password re-authorization seems to no longer be there.

Firefox is becoming as bad with the passwords. They changed the layout so only one shows at a time. Before if I wanted to take a copy of all passwords I could just take screenshots of the browser page. But now I'm not sure how to get them all to display at once, or export them out.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 08:44:22 PM »

Firefox is becoming as bad with the passwords. They changed the layout so only one shows at a time. Before if I wanted to take a copy of all passwords I could just take screenshots of the browser page. But now I'm not sure how to get them all to display at once, or export them out.

Try https://github.com/kspearrin/ff-password-exporter/releases/download/v1.1.1/FF-Password-Exporter-Portable-1.1.1.exe
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 12:01:12 PM »

Try https://github.com/kspearrin/ff-password-exporter/releases/download/v1.1.1/FF-Password-Exporter-Portable-1.1.1.exe

I finally got around to using this and it works!  ;D

I've been helping set dads new chromebook os system up. For him it was easy because he had been using an old laptop. So I installed chrome browser, imported all the details from firefox, then signed in to the google account, turned on sync. Then I moved over to the chromebook, loaded up the chrome browser and turned on sync and everything was there, bookmarks, passwords everything.

For me I just wanted the bookmarks and username/passwords from the firefox browser so I can back them up. This program did the job perfectly. I'm on FF version 74 (64 bit).

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 09:37:45 PM »

That's made me kinda nervous, it should be impossible to export passwords via a third-party as then what is to stop malware from doing the same?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 02:12:44 AM »

Its one to export an encrypted file, it is another to read it independently.

But regardless, to stop malware you dont let it run on your system in the first place.  If your system is compromised it will be able to grab the password db from your browser anyway manually.