Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Interesting observation about social media sites.  (Read 2115 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Interesting observation about social media sites.
« on: November 01, 2019, 12:22:00 PM »

I recently noticed that when I leave Facebook, Twitter and Instagram there seems to be a call issued to the social media site just prior to it going to the new page. I've not investigated further yet but I suspect they are trying to trace where you are going next. Anyone else noticed this and done any investigation?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

flilot

Re: Interesting observation about social media sites.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 12:36:53 PM »

You'll probably find its the site you're going TO thats requesting where you come FROM.  In Internet terminology it's called HTTP Referrer. 
Carl

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 12:44:02 PM »

No because even if I go from Facebook to a blank home screen it still says sending request to Facebook.com or whatever social media site I'm on. So it cannot be the target site asking!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 09:01:16 PM »

XHR request?

There is a setting in chrome that basically blocks the call I think its on by default, but used to be off.  Its akin to a dying gasp.

The amount of power web developers are getting is scary, all sorts of features are been added to browsers seemingly on their whim so they have more ability to write abusive code.  There is even the "native filesystem" api which is a security disaster waiting to happen.

XHR is getting quite popular I expect not only because its discrete in how requests are made but also because by default ublock doesnt block any XHR requests.

anything