Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Talk Talk?  (Read 11195 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Re: Talk Talk?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 03:33:12 PM »

Right guys.
I did get a router etc from TT, and joined them 18th Oct.
after your two post's, I thought I'd investigate further on the system.

Would you believe.....
he HAD fitted a Filter OK, but the cable from the phone (RJ11 isn't it?) wasn't in the filter. ??? The router is sitting on top of a bookcase in my landing, and the RJ11 from the phone was  hanging  behind the bookcase.
Plugged it in an now have the phone working.  hurrah. :)

But not the internet yet.
The way I was doing it before was an Ethernet cable from the virgin router  to my PC which is right next to it in my office.

So, if I run another Ethernet from the TT router (in the landing) I'm thinking it'll work OK..Yes/No?

Just one more question please...
Because the TT Router is now in the landing, and the PC is in my office.
I thought a 10 metre Ethernet could be used by running up to  the loft space across and down to the desktop PC.
never run such a length before, would this work do you think?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 03:47:55 PM »

Forgot to mention......
I contacted virgin yesterday, when I was panicking :D, and they told my that the deactivation date is now 17th Nov. ???
Originally it was supposed to be yesterday Sat 2nd, which they told me in an email.
I'm again confused....
Do I wait until the 17th, or fit the Ethernet from the TT router to PC now, or wait?

Sorry for the uneducated dribble.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 05:04:03 PM »

The (theoretical) maximum length of an Ethernet section is 100m. So your proposed 10m cable run is well within specification.

Connect to your TalkTalk modem/router and you will probably find that the service is also active. I fully expect that there is an overlap period when both services are active (2nd - 17th November).

Hopefully all will now be well.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 11:15:22 PM »

As Burakkucat says, ethernet cables can be much much longer than that without any problems at all. I use very very posh shielded CAT 6a or CAT7 (both over the top, that’s just me) Ethernet cable in a 15m length from upstairs at my main switch by the router to a wireless access point that is downstairs.

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 08:02:25 AM »

Great, thank you guys.
I'll get onto that this afternoon, and let you know the outcome. :)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 08:08:21 AM »

Something doesn't seem quite right here. Virgin and TalkTalk are completely different network technologies and migration from one to the other is not possible.

It absolutely is possible.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 10:20:27 AM »

It absolutely is possible.

Can you explain?
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 10:22:13 AM »

John, I think you misunderstood what RealMadrid meant, as in TT can't supply a service over VM infrastructure, thus a direct migration from one to the other is not possible and TT have to put in a new service over an OR phone line.

As for network cables, we have a standard CAT5e cable installed externally around 19 years ago, which is potentially over 100 meters, still working fine at 1Gbps.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 12:07:26 PM »

As Burakkucat says, ethernet cables can be much much longer than that without any problems at all. I use very very posh shielded CAT 6a or CAT7 (both over the top, that’s just me) Ethernet cable in a 15m length from upstairs at my main switch by the router to a wireless access point that is downstairs.

Thanks.
When you say "over the top", the cable i purchased is this one....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E5EW784/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

According to the price, I wouldn't say Over the top, but hopefully a decent buy? :fingers:

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 12:10:02 PM »

Great, thank you guys.
I'll get onto that this afternoon, and let you know the outcome. :)

Have to do it tomorrow now, due to other things getting in the way  :-\

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2019, 12:21:54 PM »

That’s great stuff, suitably over the top being CAT7 to make it very future proof. Individually shielded is excellent. The only thing better is individual shield plus an additional surrounding shield, which make the cable very stiff and difficult to handle. Yours is flat I see. I haven’t used one, very tempted as flat looks very nice to use. So an excellent buy, way way more than good enough so no possibility of any niggles (which are a nightmare to diagnose).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:34:02 PM by Weaver »

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 12:26:03 PM »

That’s great stuff, suitably over the top bring CAT7 to make it very future proof. Individually shielded is excellent. The only thing better is individual shield plus an additional surrounding shield, which make the cable very stiff and difficult to handle. Yours is flat I see. I haven’t used one, very tempted as flat looks very nice to use. So an excellent buy, way way more than good enough so no possibility of any niggles (which are a nightmare to diagnose).

that's nice to know I've done something good/right  :D
I purchased  flat, as got a few twist's and turns to put on it, also flat to the office wall, which kinda looks better IMO ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 06:09:44 PM by bob.gas »

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 06:33:13 PM »

The pest again :D.

Is Cat 7 compatible with Cat 6, can they be mixed OK?

I'd like to configure like this if possible....
Cat 7 from Router to PC and Cat 6 from PC to Powerline plugs to  .downstairs connecting to PS3 and Sonos .
Then, maybe when I get one ... a 4k smart TV?
Hope that makes sence?  ::)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 06:39:02 PM by bob.gas »

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2019, 07:35:43 PM »

Yes it'll work fine.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2019, 07:40:00 PM »

Each successive specification is a superset of the previous. So Cat5e, Cat6 & Cat7 are all compatible . . . with the proviso that if you have one length of each, all connected in series, the overall specification of the total link is that of the lowest specification -- Cat5e, in the case of this example.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6