Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Talk Talk?  (Read 11214 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Talk Talk?
« on: November 01, 2019, 11:47:42 AM »

I have just ordered Talk talk B/B & telephone, as the virgin  package I had was making my wallet shrink.
was this a wise decision I ask myself, as now every time I read/hear about T/T it's a bad apple apparently.
So here i am again on this great forum, seeking advice
I know, I should've done this first, but was in a hurry  ::) :-[
my  question is......
have I made a mistake with T/T?
I do have a cooling off period of 30 days they say.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 06:31:07 PM by bob.gas »
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Talk Talk?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 12:18:47 PM »

Well I've been with them about 10 years. Yes they do have issues sometimes and can be unhelpful but using the community to report issues usually gets them resolved IF it is a TT issue but if you expect them to argue with BTOR on your behalf you need decent evidence to get anywhere as they will push back and try not to engage with BTOR. Good hard evidence then they will do it. One thing if you stay when it comes to renewal time just dont roll over but tell them you want a better deal or you will go elsewhere and quite often they will oblige, they did for me!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 12:50:41 PM »

That's reassuring, Thank you Stuart. :)
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »

forgot to add.....
What speeds are you getting?
I've been getting a lot of buffering on Netflix, and that's with Virgin on 100 MB/s  :(

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 04:41:05 PM »

For reasons even BTOR are unable to explain my line is capped at 60mbps and although we dont use Netflix a lot we do use Freeview play and I've not noticed any buffering, the TVs use wi-fi and I have a BT Whole Home 3 disc system which is a mesh wi-fi system and gives very good coverage in the house.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 04:57:20 PM »

I've been with TalkTalk for the last twelve years and have never had a problem. I can't say what first level customer support is like (or, in fact, any level of support) for I have never needed to use it!
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 06:03:03 PM »

For reasons even BTOR are unable to explain my line is capped at 60mbps and although we dont use Netflix a lot we do use Freeview play and I've not noticed any buffering, the TVs use wi-fi and I have a BT Whole Home 3 disc system which is a mesh wi-fi system and gives very good coverage in the house.

Stuart

I see, Thanks again. :)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 06:35:42 PM »

I've been with TalkTalk for the last twelve years and have never had a problem. I can't say what first level customer support is like (or, in fact, any level of support) for I have never needed to use it!

Also reassuring, thank you burakkucat.

I am going live with them tomorrow sometime, so fingers crossed for a clean switch. :fingers:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 06:37:52 PM by bob.gas »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 07:41:02 PM »

Please let us know how the migration goes. Hopefully it will be a smooth process.

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 08:09:18 PM »

will do.
They said it could be as late as midnight, so will see what happens by Sunday if that's the case. ::)

PS...One thing I haven't mentioned is that I had the Open Reach engineer call to sort the BT cabinet etc, and since then we can't use our landlind.
Not a biggie, as have the mobiles.
Wondered if this was normal?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 08:12:58 PM by bob.gas »

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 11:46:23 AM »

Hi guys.
Well, I've had a message from TT that I've been transferred over.
The only thing is, I cannot get the phone line to work.
I did call them and had an automated reply saying the phone wouldn't be up an running  for 5 hours  ???
Is this something that is normal with TT?
I haven't experience this when transferring to other ISP's in the past?

Plus I haven't disconnected the virgin router yet, not sure when i should TBO. :-[

Perhaps I should call them again after 5 hours has elapsed, what do you think?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 06:10:05 PM »

Well, I've had a message from TT that I've been transferred over.
The only thing is, I cannot get the phone line to work.
I did call them and had an automated reply saying the phone wouldn't be up an running  for 5 hours  ???
Is this something that is normal with TT?

That seems a bit odd. I'm not aware of anyone else being put in that situation.  :-\

I wonder if there was a "mishap" at the PCP (the cabinet) when the tie-pairs were connected into the circuit?

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 06:29:04 PM »

Thanks for the reply again.
You think it might be a fault with Open reach then?
I tried calling them, when I couldn't get a landline.
they said I have to go to TT and sort it out.
No luck there. ::)

In the meantime, I did a speed test and it showed I am still with Virgin  ???
so called Virgin, eventually got through to them...gasp!!!, and the guy i spoke to said the BB isn't changing until the 17th Nov Grrr :-X
I could scream, as all the info had been originally stated said  I'd be live with TT today etc etc.
And the landline could take 13 days as in the process of porting to TT.
does it really take this long?

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 08:19:41 PM »

Something doesn't seem quite right here. Virgin and TalkTalk are completely different network technologies and migration from one to the other is not possible. You will still be on Virgin if you haven't changed your router hardware. Have Talk Talk sent you a new router?  That needs to be connected to your openreach phone line which is not the Virgin phone line. Virgin is a cable service with modem/router that is incompatible with an FTTC modem/router. When did you actually order with TT, it usually takes around 10 working days to set up a new connection. The landline is not ported to TT, I suspect they mean your phone number. It could well be some time before it is all sorted. :(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 08:48:17 PM »

Something was niggling in the back of my mind . . . When I re-checked, I saw that the loosing supplier was the Liberty Global asset NTL (trading as Virgin Media) and not Sky as I was "believing".

Subsequently, I see RAM has described the process of changing supplier for this type of case.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

anything