Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Talk Talk?  (Read 11367 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Re: Talk Talk?
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2019, 01:50:30 PM »

pleased to say.......
after all afternoon yesterday running a cable to extend a new 3 pin plug socket for my power-line plugs upstairs
Everything downstairs is working fine, just hoping the buffering doesn't rear it's ugly head.  ::)  :fingers:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2019, 07:18:58 PM »

In my opinion your time would have been much better spent installing ethernet cables. Powerline network devices are renowned for causing increased noise levels that can interfere with the VDSL signal. I have used them in the past and had problems so have now disposed of them and will never be used again. :)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »

would've been nice to have  gone that route, but SWMBO wouldn't have been very happy seeing Ethernet cables all over the place  :no:.
And TBF, I've used power-line's for a few years now, and the Picture quality has always been up to scratch, with no signs of noise etc, only the buffering, which hasn't happened lately.  :fingers:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2019, 10:11:33 PM »

If you can run a bit of T&E and not see it, then you can do the same with CAT5e surely?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2019, 08:49:14 AM »

Agrees with RealAleMadrid. Disapprove of power line comms because it spits out evil interference everywhere and pollutes signal potentially reducing performance and even possibly causing problems for neighbours in the worst case. It’s very clever, but I think people should be required to remove it if it is causing measurable levels of interference.

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2019, 10:20:01 AM »

Whilst I appreciate your concerns with Power- line's,  as said b/4, I have no such problems with using them for several years.
our house is detached so not sure if it would interfere with neighbours anyway.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2019, 11:56:07 AM »

Its the radio waves that are emited that causes interference, especially if you have a local radio enthusiast. The same radio waves are also picked up by telephone cables, and thus can affect xDSL. No idea how far these radio wave's travel though.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2019, 11:34:08 AM »

The radio waves travel infinitely far, barring atmospheric absorption. They may get out of the atmosphere so then the distance is infinite. It will be 1/r (or maybe 1/r   2 in the case of magnetic fields - I forget). Of course there’s a practical limit because their power will descend into the background noise level at some distance, so they are no louder than the other noise sources, and ultimately there is the cosmic background radiation. So the practical distance limit depends on the power of the transmitter, absorption if any and the power of local noise sources.

It seems possible that I can pick up radio waves from 60 miles away, this is not certain though. This is from high powered broadcast audio transmitters. The importance of a quiet local electrical environment is proven though by Saturday’s experience, where downstream sync speeds went up by 5% because of the after effects of a power cut.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:51:08 AM by Weaver »

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2019, 05:20:25 PM »

Thanks, nice to learn something about radio waves  ;)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2020, 03:48:47 PM »

Been a little while Since my last post (Thank god you all say  :baby:)

I have changed my TV viewing system.
Ditched Virgin as you all know, and got a Humax Freesat 1TB box.
Also sold my beloved Pioneer 5090 and gone with the 55" LG OLED 4K.
All is running sweet with Talk Talk, and not had to use the customer support. Glad I went with TT,  I can carry my wallet on a trolley now  :lol:

Might have a go at running completely  Ethernet cables instead of Power line plugs  to keep the  un-supporters happy :P

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2020, 04:55:50 PM »

TalkTalk was probably the best ISP I've ever been with, in terms of quality of my ADSL2+ & VDSL2 connection. Will almost certainly take out a FTTP service from them, assuming they start selling the 1 Gb/s service from Openreach later on in 2020.

Talking of TVs,  love my 42" Pioneer Kuro 428XD plasma to bits, probably the best 42" TV ever to exist...very power hungry though  :lol: Will only upgrade as soon as a decent (Panny or Sony) 42" OLED set appears on the market.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:20:46 PM by psychopomp1 »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2020, 02:44:26 AM »

Whilst I appreciate your concerns with Power- line's,  as said b/4, I have no such problems with using them for several years.
our house is detached so not sure if it would interfere with neighbours anyway.

Worth bearing in mind, you had no problems BECAUSE you were with Virgin.  Powerline particularly interferes with VDSL, which you are now using.

It could also be the cause of your buffering even when you were on Virgin, as I've seen other people report them degrade over time.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2020, 12:37:09 PM »

TalkTalk was probably the best ISP I've ever been with, in terms of quality of my ADSL2+ & VDSL2 connection. Will almost certainly take out a FTTP service from them, assuming they start selling the 1 Gb/s service from Openreach later on in 2020.

Talking of TVs,  love my 42" Pioneer Kuro 428XD plasma to bits, probably the best 42" TV ever to exist...very power hungry though  :lol: Will only upgrade as soon as a decent (Panny or Sony) 42" OLED set appears on the market.

I agree that Pioneer Kuros where and still have a  phenomenal picture quality.
But I gave in and sold mine (for peanuts  :()and now have the LG OLED 55" B9.
changed to have a "Smart" TV and 4K, and future proofing.

Meanwhile, Thank you to all who have replied and educated me :D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 12:39:31 PM by bob.gas »

InPe90

• Just arrived
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2020, 02:00:01 PM »

my mum uses them, she has had a few issues but always been resolved quickly

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Re: Re: Talk Talk?
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2020, 02:02:40 PM »

my mum uses them, she has had a few issues but always been resolved quickly

Eh?  ???
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6