Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: modem reboots automatically  (Read 4087 times)

neil

• Reg Member
modem reboots automatically
« on: November 01, 2019, 02:41:54 AM »

I have this new problem that i am facing after i started dialing pppoe from my router instead of modem. Every now and then my modem reboots automatically and usually when i am doing something it just rebooted now and that's why i am posting here if someone has any idea.
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: modem reboots automatically
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 04:47:02 AM »

If your modem is rebooting it’s either a bug in the software or a bad power supply. I would try a very good power supply first: high current rating (‘stiff’ = low internal resistance ), can deliver a fast current surge very quickly.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 10:25:04 AM »

If your modem is rebooting it’s either a bug in the software or a bad power supply. I would try a very good power supply first: high current rating (‘stiff’ = low internal resistance ), can deliver a fast current surge very quickly.

modem started rebooting when i started dialing pppoe connection from router it was fine working fine. And how i can check faulty power adapter?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 05:10:17 PM »

modem started rebooting when i started dialing pppoe connection from router . . .

So that would be when the data through the modem suddenly increased.

. . . how i can check faulty power adapter?

Usually by swapping it out and temporarily using a different PSU.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 10:21:01 AM »

I have this new problem that i am facing after i started dialing pppoe from my router instead of modem. Every now and then my modem reboots automatically and usually when i am doing something it just rebooted now and that's why i am posting here if someone has any idea.

Does the actual modem fully reboot, flashing lights and all? Or does the PPPoE session drop and reconnect under load? The latter will look like the modem went down from the router (what router are you using?) stats page, then come up again 10-20 seconds later.

I have to increase the LCP echo interval and threshold in the PPPoE setting of my router to avoid this happening under load, maxing out the connection results in the LCP keep alive packets taking too long or being dropped for some reason.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 02:04:57 PM »

Does the actual modem fully reboot, flashing lights and all? Or does the PPPoE session drop and reconnect under load? The latter will look like the modem went down from the router (what router are you using?) stats page, then come up again 10-20 seconds later.

I have to increase the LCP echo interval and threshold in the PPPoE setting of my router to avoid this happening under load, maxing out the connection results in the LCP keep alive packets taking too long or being dropped for some reason.
yes only the modem reboots completely all lights off then restarts

i have a tplink archer c7 v1 and i dont know to to set lcp echo interval can you guide and i am going to google it now
VDSL FTTC 35/18

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 02:07:34 PM »

yes only the modem reboots completely all lights off then restarts

i have a tplink archer c7 v1 and i dont know to to set lcp echo interval can you guide and i am going to google it now

If the modem is actually rebooting then you can ignore what I was talking about.

What modem do you have?

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 02:08:48 PM »

So that would be when the data through the modem suddenly increased.

Usually by swapping it out and temporarily using a different PSU.

yes it has happened like 3 5 times when i was using internet in last 10 days and what you meant by suddenly increased data through modem?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 02:10:26 PM »

If the modem is actually rebooting then you can ignore what I was talking about.

What modem do you have?
it is from my local isp modem model is fiberhome hg150 ub

people are selling it for 8.4$ lol thats very cheap VDSL2 modem with broadcom chip
here it is https://www.olx.com.pk/item/latest-ptcl-wifi-router-modem-for-ptcl-vdsl2-cable-net-evo-vdsl-iid-1010540972
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 02:13:07 PM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 02:20:40 PM »

I have zero knowledge of that device, but if its super cheap looking at the PSU is never a bad idea.

If you want to try what I was talking about with LCP echo timeouts - I only mention it as the change from modem to router dialling the PPPoE session then:

On the archer C7, go to "go into router setup > Advanced > Internet > (click modify) then click on Advanced arrow which will reveal some extra features".

There may be something in there you can increase for LCP threshold etc, I use 5 retries and 5 seconds.

Again I'm just guessing because I dont have the hardware.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 02:21:48 PM »

I have zero knowledge of that device, but if its super cheap looking at the PSU is never a bad idea.

If you want to try what I was talking about with LCP echo timeouts - I only mention it as the change from modem to router dialling the PPPoE session then:

On the archer C7, go to "go into router setup > Advanced > Internet > (click modify) then click on Advanced arrow which will reveal some extra features".

There may be something in there you can increase for LCP threshold etc, I use 5 retries and 5 seconds.

Again I'm just guessing because I dont have the hardware.
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 02:24:14 PM »

advance settings in wan pppoe
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 02:36:12 PM »

in my modem system log there is something received from some ip adress

radvd received RA from
VDSL FTTC 35/18

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 02:42:49 PM »

Like I said I'm flying blind because I dont have that device, I just googled and found someone able to access LCP settings:

go into router setup > Advanced > Internet > (click modify) then click on Advanced arrow which will reveal some extra features, in there you will find Echo Request Interval

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2019, 02:47:48 PM »

in my modem system log there is something received from some ip adress

radvd received RA from

If you are able to access your modem system log (radvd is about IPv6 advertisement) and confirm it is power cycling then dont bother looking into LCP echo settings. The router would not fall over and reboot due to this, I am only talking about the keep alive of the PPPoE session from your router.
Pages: [1] 2