Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: modem reboots automatically  (Read 4083 times)

neil

• Reg Member
Re: modem reboots automatically
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 03:07:36 PM »

If you are able to access your modem system log (radvd is about IPv6 advertisement) and confirm it is power cycling then dont bother looking into LCP echo settings. The router would not fall over and reboot due to this, I am only talking about the keep alive of the PPPoE session from your router.

ok when modem rebooted i connected with router and saw wan connection settings there it was saying connected when modem was rebooting and it got new settings when modem was fully on again
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 03:12:43 PM »

can my isp remotely reboot my modem? there was some issue of high ping a few weeks ago and after reporting it i got a few calls from isp to check and report back. Issue is solved now but they were able to tell my snr and other stuff
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 07:11:22 AM »

ISP may be able to reboot your router remotely, I would think, but I’m not certain, not without re-reading the spec. ISP-remote config (so-called TR-069) is something that can enabled or disabled.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 11:25:53 AM »

ISP may be able to reboot your router remotely, I would think, but I’m not certain, not without re-reading the spec. ISP-remote config (so-called TR-069) is something that can enabled or disabled.
yes it is enabled should i disable it?
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 11:33:19 AM »

> Should I disable it?

From the point of view of security you could argue that it is a good idea to disable such things. It also depends on whether or not you trust your isp. If you actually want your isp to be able to reconfigure things, do software updates that kind of thing and do automagic zero-config installations in future then you and they might find it useful. Talk to them if unsure.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 01:32:24 PM »

> Should I disable it?

From the point of view of security you could argue that it is a good idea to disable such things. It also depends on whether or not you trust your isp. If you actually want your isp to be able to reconfigure things, do software updates that kind of thing and do automagic zero-config installations in future then you and they might find it useful. Talk to them if unsure.

never heard of software updates from anyone so far from my ISP and for reconfig you can call helpline and they will provide you username and password and i dont think anything else is needed
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2019, 11:19:05 PM »

By the way, I should have clarified: I meant software updates to modem or router.

You might be well advised to turn off the TR-069 then. My ISP, Andrews and Arnold, uses it. I have it turned off on all my modems.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 04:27:33 PM »

update here today i tried uploading a file and my rebooted and i tested it 3 times my reboots whenever i try to upload some file to some random website. I tested with online mp4 to mp3 converter my modem rebooted 2 times in a row please help
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 04:34:42 PM »

rebooted 1 more time during file upload to random mp4 to mp3 convertor
VDSL FTTC 35/18

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 04:36:38 PM »

So that would be when the data through the modem suddenly increased.

Usually by swapping it out and temporarily using a different PSU.

please help my modem reboots whenever i try to upload a file i posted here new message
VDSL FTTC 35/18
Pages: 1 [2]