Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC Downstream speed higher than expected  (Read 966 times)

bband82

• Just arrived
FTTC Downstream speed higher than expected
« on: February 07, 2020, 06:14:31 PM »

My FTTC downstream speed is a lot higher than expected based on the dsl checker data for some reason. The upstream seems to match up ok.

Checker gives a range 57-37 mbps on downstream but i actaully get over 71 mbps.

For the the upstream checker gives a range of 13.9 -8.5 and i am getting 9.18 mbps.

Any ideas what could cause this higher speed on the downstream? Cab distance roughly works out that the upstream of 9.18 seems about right but I would have thought I would only achieve the estimate of 57 on the downstream.

Obviosuly not complaining but wondering what the cause could be.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: FTTC Downstream speed higher than expected
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 08:23:53 PM »

You should be happy with the higher speed, estimates are just that so can be inaccurate, the line will go as fast as it can, it doesn't know about the checker estimates. :)

bp1000

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 07:49:22 PM »

I'm the opposite of this

My line is generally very stable and it thinks I should be able to achieve 70Mbps on an impacted line

My upstream is actually syncing at 15Mbps, but downstream is only 51Mbps, sometimes 55Mbps when interleaving is off - currently it is on due to some electrical issues and power cuts. Now sorted.

I have no idea why my upstream is so good, but downstream is on the low end of expected.

Anyone know why? 

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 07:54:16 PM »

Did you use BT checker for estimates? and it would be useful if you share line stats.

bp1000

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 08:06:43 PM »

Did you use BT checker for estimates? and it would be useful if you share line stats.

I did yes.

My impacted estimates are

69.5   44   18.1   10.4

My current stats are

Upstream   Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps)   15161   50877
Max Rate (Kbps)   15246   61147
SNR Margin (dB)   6.1   6.3
Line Attenuation (dB)   29.4   13.2
Errors (Pkts)   0   0

mofa2020

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 08:15:58 PM »

I did yes.

My impacted estimates are

69.5   44   18.1   10.4

My current stats are

Upstream   Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps)   15161   50877
Max Rate (Kbps)   15246   61147
SNR Margin (dB)   6.1   6.3
Line Attenuation (dB)   29.4   13.2
Errors (Pkts)   0   0

Based on the attenuation and SNRm you are getting the maximum of your line at 6.3db, I believe the 61mbps would be achieved with SNRm taget of 3db so either it not yet rolled out in your cabinet or the DLM see that for some other reason your line best to sync. at 6db SNRm.

by this line attenuation either your line distance to fttc cabinet is relatively long, or your line has a fault. what is your router? do you know what cab are your line on (Huawei or ECI) and the approximate distance?

bp1000

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 08:24:31 PM »

Based on the attenuation and SNRm you are getting the maximum of your line at 6.3db, I believe the 61mbps would be achieved with SNRm taget of 3db so either it not yet rolled out in your cabinet or the DLM see that for some other reason your line best to sync. at 6db SNRm.

by this line attenuation either your line distance to fttc cabinet is relatively long, or your line has a fault. what is your router? do you know what cab are your line on (Huawei or ECI) and the approximate distance?

Thanks Mofa

I'm currently interleaved. When it is switched off I do seem to get around 55-57Mbps

My cab is ECI unfortunately and my modem is a TP-Link TD-W9970 which is extremely stable.

Approx distance is about 0.5Km, possibly as far as 0.6Km

I was just curious why my upload sync seems so good when my DL sync is towards the lower end of the estimated speed. I suspect its likely to be crosstalk?