Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hire Car Gibraltar. ?  (Read 1532 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Hire Car Gibraltar. ?
« on: October 25, 2019, 09:09:53 PM »

Gibraltar, has anyone flown into the airport there and had a Car Hire ?.

We are having a car hire not to travel around Gibraltar but to go on day trips into Spain etc..

I am getting conflicting information about where you have to pick it up and drop off when you have done with it, some say you pick up / drop off with-in the airport and others say you have to go across the border into Spain to pick it up and drop off and Que to get back into Gibraltar.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: Hire Car Gibraltar. ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 09:22:22 AM »

i'm guessing it would depend entirely on who you are hiring the car from?
however, depending on how the spanish are feeling that day, you could be queuing for ages or not queuing at all.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 10:00:30 AM »

Queuing was my experience.  Holidaying in Spain, we visited Gibraltar for a day with our hire car.

Getting into Gibraltar from Spain wasn’t too bad, considering it is a physical border.   But getting back to Spain again took hours as the Spanish were subjecting every single vehicle to a full and detailed search.   When I asked why they were doing so, the border guard told me they were cracking down on tobacco smuggling. :-X

That was a long time ago, 2005.  Things may have improved, or got worse.

BTW we did find Gibraltar fascinating, and well worth the visit. :)

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 04:14:09 PM »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 08:29:25 PM »

I went on the Avis web-site and used there 'Help' free phone number to talk to 'Barcelona Avis' and the lady said you have to go across the border, it is not far but at our time of life I do not want to do that with all our case's etc.
Booking though BA  Business class say the opposite for Avis and Budget, saying you pick them up at the airport, talking to BA they admit the info on the BA website is wrong, there is a desk for Avis and Budget in the airport but the cars are kept across the border  >:D.
It's not till next May we go.
Good link, thanks.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 09:28:34 PM »

If health allows, walk from Gib into Spain and pick up a hire car there ..... #queuebusting

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 06:59:59 AM »

we've been to Gibraltar in the past but done it on a coach trip from Spain can't really remember how bad the border was but don't think it was that bad.

I usually look on Google Street view to try and find where the car rental returns are at airports but street view does not show the airport only some of it.

I did find this guide though which may be useful to you https://drivespain.com/gibraltar-airport-car-hire/#/searchcars

Presumably you are staying in Gibraltar  so if you do have to pick the car up from Spain, could just one of you walk across to the car hire and then pick the other up from the airport where they will be having a nice coffee and looking after the cases?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 09:01:40 AM »

i've always found Gibraltar to be a mixture of the worst things about Britain/England and the worst things about Spain.
truly god awful place.

it's a wonder why Spain want it back and why Britain wants to keep it.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 10:59:31 PM »

If health allows, walk from Gib into Spain and pick up a hire car there ..... #queuebusting
Yes I did think of that, google says it is 10 minuets from the hotel to the border, But it would be the amount of stuff the three of us will need to take from the hotel when we go to Spain day trips each time could be a problem.

I did find this guide though which may be useful to you https://drivespain.com/gibraltar-airport-car-hire/#/searchcars

That is a useful website.  :)

truly god awful place.

:o  :(