Computer Software > General software

Query About VMs

(1/3) > >>

Weaver:
[This topic has been created by splitting off the following posts from leonroy's High packet loss and occasional disconnection under load thread.

--- Quote from: dee.jay on October 28, 2019, 04:18:30 PM ---Maybe it's time for a new pfSense install.

I run a virtual instance, it's been faultless.

--- End quote ---

Apologies for straying off topic - a random question about your VM and major software components - can your software setup make use of paravirtualization ?

dee.jay:
I don't believe so no - paravirtualization was no longer supported by ESX 5 upwards because of Intel VT and AMD VT technologies, which apparently are a lot faster.

Chrysalis:
I always thought of paravirtualisation been modified kernel/drivers that dont fully emulate but instead are cut down specifically designed for a virtual environment, and in that respect it is still around e.g. vmx network drivers.  As emulating full hardware is expensive.

But maybe I am wrong and it isnt that. :)

actually seems I am right.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vCloud-NFV-OpenStack-Edition/3.0/vmwa-vcloud-nfv30-performance-tunning/GUID-E2271E36-12BB-47CE-A765-5ECB5BBE7CC7.html

I think if you have hardware cpu virtualisation, then its probably fair to call it partial paravirtualization, as the hardware is usually just limited to the cpu and memory subsystem but rest of kit still has to be emulated, like graphics, i/o and networking.

If you have vt-d support you can also directly passthru hardware like i/o cards and gpu's.

dee.jay:
Ah yes, VT-d. I use that to passthrough the onboard SAS controller through to a FreeNAS VM.

You can get pretty crazy with VT-d if devices can support it. Probably the favourite thing I've done was to passthrough an nVidia GTX680 to a Windows VM with the machine itself running Arch Linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRFO942RLNE

^^ That's me. Old video, apparently that was 4 years ago I did that. Should try it on my more modern desktop.

Chrysalis:
one of the reasons I am migrating away from esxi is you wouldnt be able to do that on consumer nvidia hardware as an artificial block in the drivers to make you buy quadro cards :p, but no problem with proxmox, qemu etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version