Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: VMG1312-B10A not responding  (Read 5664 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
VMG1312-B10A not responding
« on: October 22, 2019, 10:22:10 AM »

I screwed up the config of one modem somehow last autumn; it doesn’t respond when you try to talk to the ordinary web server. But it does work normally as a modem and you can telnet into it. It has Johnson’s custom firmware in it - the version with the easy stats and graphing web server. The graphing web server works fine.

So because I can’t get into the normal web server, I can’t reflash it at the moment nor load new config into it. Is there a way of restoring control over it?

I don’t actually need to do anything to it because it just works. But if I were to need to make some changes then I would need to get back into it.

If I can’t get into it it’s not the end of the world because I have plenty of other modems and I could just flash one of those and substitute it putting it into active duty instead, and demoting the awkward one to being a spare.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: VMG1312-B10A not responding
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 11:42:47 AM »

@Weaver, if you follow @burakkucat's instructions in this thread - https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20731.msg361030.html#msg361030 - you should be able to re-flash it.
 :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:50:15 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 11:51:35 AM »

Brilliant thanks tubaman- I was sure Burakkucat, Johnson, kitz or someone had given explicit recovery instructions before - something I have found very difficult. I am semi bed bound so I either get my wife to wrestle with the modem and talk her through it or run an enormously long ethernet cable to the switch and then plug the modem into mains while I am in bed still, then I can do the reset procedure myself.

I am so full of morphine today and I can’t see - everything is double - my eyes aren’t focusing properly. I shall leave this attempt until I am much more with it. But at some point I shall want to get control of this one back.

I don’t know what stupid thing I did to break the main admin web server in the thing; some attempt at fiddling around with network config that went wrong.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 02:54:22 PM »

Weaver - you're welcome.
Perhaps you need to get yourself a cheap laptop so you can play around with this type of thing.
I have a really ancient one that I got secondhand and have loaded Lubuntu onto. I find it perfect for this type of 'playing' and I also don't worry too much about messing it up as if I do I just reload the OS and start again.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 05:40:04 PM »

I wonder if there is a Kitizen, relatively nearby (in Scotland), who would be willing to perform the deed?  :-\  (Assuming Mrs Weaver would be prepared to safely package up the device and take it into Broadford, for dispatch.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 08:49:31 PM »

Yes, I could always package the awkward devil up and post it to England or anywhere. I might as well have another go at it myself, possibly with a giant long ethernet cable, of which I have plenty. But that will have to be at a time when Mrs Weaver is good to help me for half an hour and I am sufficiently clearheaded to do the reset procedure that Burakkucat gave us. There’s no urgency at the moment which means that it is never getting done, and programming yet another one is easier than dealing with the real issue if sorting this beggar out.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 11:26:47 PM »

Actually I need to thank t*man for providing the link, as I recall typing it out (possibly more than once) but forgetting where it was. I've now bookmarked that particular post.

If I am correctly remembering what johnson mentioned, the act of taking the VMG1312-B10A to a solid red power LED is sufficient to revert the device back to the default configuration of the currently loaded firmware image.  :-\  That should be all that needs to be done as the current firmware image is good, the mangled configuration is not good.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 02:36:48 AM »

I screwed up the config of one modem somehow last autumn; it doesn’t respond when you try to talk to the ordinary web server. But it does work normally as a modem and you can telnet into it.

If you have telnet access you can perform a reset by issuing "restoredefault" from the zyxel shell.

Tried it a couple times on the testing 1312, works every time for me.

Will need to be able to access it on the default 192.168.1.1 address after though.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 03:57:25 AM »

Ah brilliant! What exactly does it do? Restores the default factory config?

And then as you say, the IP address will change to the default. The existing admin IP address happens to be 192.168.1.1 because it’s on duty ‘in slot 1’, acting as modem #1 in 192.168.n.1.

Then I should be able to get in to the normal web admin application on port 80.

If anything goes wrong, what, I then go for Burakkucat’s full reset procedure?

Apologies for being so obvious, nervous. Everything is a bit fuzzy now and thinking is very difficult.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 05:31:17 AM »

hmmm, it seems this enhanced stats feature might not be worth it if it causes this problem?

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 05:45:55 AM »

hmmm, it seems this enhanced stats feature might not be worth it if it causes this problem?

I have physically reconfigured a modem of Weavers before due to this kind of issue, it was long before installing the stats firmware.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 05:48:42 AM »

Ah brilliant! What exactly does it do? Restores the default factory config?

And then as you say, the IP address will change to the default. The existing admin IP address happens to be 192.168.1.1 because it’s on duty ‘in slot 1’, acting as modem #1 in 192.168.n.1.

Then I should be able to get in to the normal web admin application on port 80.

If anything goes wrong, what, I then go for Burakkucat’s full reset procedure?

Apologies for being so obvious, nervous. Everything is a bit fuzzy now and thinking is very difficult.

As far as I can tell "restoredefault" is the same as full pin reset with red lights. My 1312 comes back up after it at 192.168.1.1 and wifi enabled with default SSID.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 10:53:07 AM »

I have physically reconfigured a modem of Weavers before due to this kind of issue, it was long before installing the stats firmware.

did you find out the cause then?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 12:39:27 AM »

The other modems have stats firmware and are fine. The modem that is giving problems was ok until I fiddled around with it, doing medical experiments in the CLI and at some point I made it unhappy; I was trying to fix the networking config so it had a proper defined default gateway and sort dns out and so on. There is no way I can see that it’s anything to do with Johnson’s enhanced custom build.

I’ll try this good tip for recovery when I have got Janet available to help me then.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 12:52:06 AM »

It may be simpler to try the reset-button whist powering-on trick, as I suggested in my second paragraph of Reply #6. No leads are required (apart of that from the PSU, obviously).

Pages: [1] 2 3

anything