Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mobile network repeater / signal booster  (Read 1529 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Mobile network repeater / signal booster
« on: October 21, 2019, 04:07:53 PM »

I’ve heard about femtocells but I was wondering about microcells, mobile network repeaters that are good for say 1km hopefully, preferably  2km radius. Does anyone know about availability of such things ? And I don’t mean just for boosting signal inside a house, although that would be a very useful separate thing, but in this case rather enabling reception in a whole village.

Mobile network reception is non-existent in the lower level parts of Heasta I think; it certainly used to be. I wonder if such a repeater could be mounted at the top of the village to fill in the hole? Would need mains, line of sight to the basestation and line of sight to lower properties.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Mobile network repeater / signal booster
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 06:43:03 PM »

My understanding is that femtocells generally depend upon a.n.other technology to connect to the internet, then the cell’s traffic is routed over that technology.   Often, that might be a DSL connection, more likely optical fibre such as FTTC/P.

Since the location in question is reputed to have neither fibre, nor good DSL, I am not sure femtocell technology would hold much promise.

Repeat, that is just my understanding,   always happy to be educated to the contrary. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 03:21:21 AM »

I found a link about microcells which have a longer range. I forget now whether or not the model mentioned needs a link to the internet, ethernet or wire or whatever. I was thinking about something which took in mobile signal direct from the normal basestation so it would extend the whole cell, repeat phone calls and everything into the not-spot, not just internet.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 04:20:39 AM »

Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 09:39:16 AM »

Damn, I should have thought about that. So femtocells within houses are ok under licensing regulations? But longer range repeater devices are restricted ?

I was reading https://mullinsfarms.com/misc/how-to-install-a-cell-phone-repeater/ which talks about kit made by someone called "Wilson" but they are American.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 09:46:44 AM by Weaver »

anything