Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Virgin media PAYG price hikes  (Read 4698 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Virgin media PAYG price hikes
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 02:11:06 PM »

i think this new may explain some of the PAYG changes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50313824

Sounds as if that has potential to upset users in borderline coverage areas, where some networks might work and others might not?   :-\

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 03:41:12 PM »

I expect so, some may get a better signal, some worse, others it will make no difference to.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 08:16:19 PM »

Sounds as if that has potential to upset users in borderline coverage areas, where some networks might work and others might not?   :-\

Thats the problem with using resellers.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 08:31:03 PM »

I expect so, some may get a better signal, some worse, others it will make no difference to.

The fact that some may get a worse signal, or none at all, is the point. The fact that other people are unaffected won’t be any consolation.  I wonder if they’ll allow early termination of contracts, for those affected? And how much proof will they demand, to enable that?

The last place I worked, an office block in a major UK town centre  was a complete notspot for the network I then used.  Other people on same network found the same, and other networks were fine.   Unfortunately it was an inexplicable glitch that seemed to affect just our building, the coverage maps showed good signal strength, and the network simply refused to accept there was a problem.  :(

Thats the problem with using resellers.
I think you’re right.  But I wonder how many average people really understand that networks like Virgin are not ‘real networks’? 

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 09:30:33 PM »

i'm pretty sure if they read the small print in any mobile carrier contract it'll say it can't guarantee a connection at any specific location, and coverage may vary.
that's their get out clause there for any coverage black spots.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 09:32:03 PM »

But I wonder how many average people really understand that networks like Virgin are not ‘real networks’?

probably the inverse of the amount that think Tesco have their own mobile network.

and the harsh reality is that they don't even understand just how far down the priority list they are on the network they use.

Virgin use EE at the moment. so contract Virgin customers will be at best third in the priority list, and Virgin PAYG will be at best 4th in the priority list. EE contract and EE PAYG being above them on the list.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 09:34:58 PM by chenks »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 10:29:07 PM »

I wonder... is this, in a way, a benefit of PAYG?

My current network (Vodafone) provides a decent signal at home and a borderline (but adequate) signal in the other place I regularly play with a phone, a certain pub in which I sit while other half does shopping.

But if Vodafone were to reorganise in such a way that any of my regular locations became notspots, whilst I would be grumpy, I could probably solve it by simply switching networks - pretty much overnight.   With a contract however, switching might be more of a problem, I might have to wait until a fixed term expired?

I have never had a contract phone so above is based on assumptions, that may be wrong. :-[

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 10:32:03 PM »

The fact that some may get a worse signal, or none at all, is the point. The fact that other people are unaffected won’t be any consolation.

Yes I did realise that, was just pointing out there would be winners as well as losers.

But I wonder how many average people really understand that networks like Virgin are not ‘real networks’?

Probably not very many.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2019, 07:45:54 AM »

Maybe BT Enterprise are too expensive for Virgin to run on:

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-and-vodafone-strike-new-mobile-deal

Virgin Media has agreed a five year deal with Vodafone UK to bring innovative new services, including 5G, to more than three million mobile customers and provide further flexibility to grow its mobile operation.

The new Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) agreement, which runs until 2026, will see Vodafone supply wholesale mobile network services, including both voice and data, to Virgin Mobile and Virgin Media Business. Virgin Media will have full access to all of Vodafone’s current services and future technologies, such as Vodafone’s expanding 5G network, enabling new product advancements and benefits for its customers.

Virgin Media’s current MVNO agreement with BT Enterprise, which has been in place since January 2017, will come to an end in late 2021, at which point Virgin Media’s mobile offering will transition to Vodafone. Virgin Mobile 5G services are set to launch on the Vodafone network before the transition takes place.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2019, 08:14:06 AM »

yes i had already posted about that news, which is what kickstarted the discussion again.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything