Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Getting and demonstrating accuarate colours in digital photos  (Read 3417 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Getting and demonstrating accuarate colours in digital photos
« on: October 19, 2019, 05:52:50 PM »

Hi,

I know there are some photographers here so I hope there may be some suggestions.  The scenario here is an acquaintance who sells stuff on Ebay for fun.  Occasionally an issue is raised with colours, along the lines of "Looked red in the photos, but it's actually pink which I totally can't wear", followed by Ebay case and of course Ebay siding with the buyer.

One idea I had was to suggest that they always include a proper grey card in the picture.  The point is that there's no control over the device that the buyer is viewing the pictures with, it may be a poor quality monitor or heaven forbid a phone, or anything else that could make something look red instead of pink. 

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Tony S

parkdale

• Reg Member
Re: Getting and demonstrating accuarate colours in digital photos
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 06:33:56 PM »

I work in the printing trade, and as you have surmised, pictures displayed on any device will always be to the "viewers liking".
We use some very expensive calibration tools on the Macs/printing presses for this very reason and to maintain our ISO certification.
But still customers will be picky about colours.
I am thinking maybe you could include a grey card but better still, what about a well known box of cereal carefully placed for comparison, or other domestic product?
Or just send them some small off cuts/swatch of the material?, which could be recovered in the post & packing costs.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 08:47:33 AM »

I am thinking maybe you could include a grey card but better still, what about a well known box of cereal carefully placed for comparison, or other domestic product?
Brilliant idea, the box of cereal, thanks.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 11:41:59 AM »

It is certainly true that the device used for viewing will affect colour reproduction.

But in my experience, any vast deviations in colour perception are at least as likely to be attributable to an incorrect camera setup.   In particular, the white balance needs to be set correctly.  Don’t trust ‘auto’ white balance, set it manually.   Best of all, if the camera supports it, shoot Raw images and set the white balance properly on a PC afterwards.

But since you’re talking of grey cards you probably know all about that, and perhaps more than I do. :)