Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Samsung fingerprint Id, any thumb will do  (Read 2863 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Samsung fingerprint Id, any thumb will do
« on: October 17, 2019, 12:23:08 PM »

Oops

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50080586

Fear not, even as an Apple devotee, I’m not gloating.  The root login bug on Mac OS Mojave, that allowed root login without a password, must rival this one. :D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Samsung fingerprint Id, any thumb will do
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 03:49:58 AM »

This was rather hilarious.  I can't unlock my S10 WITH my thumb, but if I put a gel screen protector on then anyone could have, lol.

How this malfunction actually worked rather suggests a HUGE flaw in how its detecting fingerprints in the first place.  How can you possibly fool it so that ANY worked?  How can we trust the fix (which has now rolled out) doesn't have other flaws?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 10:37:23 AM »

I have always used a passcode on my Samsung phones despite the latest one having a fingerprint reader, this is so my wife can access it in an emergency without having to use my fingerprint! Sounds like I should not have bothered!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 11:04:03 AM »

Researching the issue, it’s not as bad as the impression I was left with after reading the article on BBC, who got it from The Sun.

The actual problem seems to be that if you apply a screen protector before recording your fingerprint, then pattern of the screen protector itself gets recorded as if it were a fingerprint.   Subsequently when another person touches, if the screen protector is still there, the phone unlocks.

So although it’s an embarrassing bug, it doesn’t necessarily mean somebody else can just take somebody else’s phone, stick on a screen protector and unlock it.   Presumably, the only precaution needed is to make sure you record your fingerprint with the screen *naked?

*Stress, that’s the screen naked, not the user.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 11:10:15 AM »

Interesting. The glass screen protector for my Nokia 6 does not cover the finger print detector (there's a cut out in the glass). The Motorola G7 Power* we recently bought for my wife has the finger print detector on the back.

@Broadstairs On both phones you can add multiple fingerprints (very useful if you cut your finger and have to put a plaster on it!) which I think would be the same on all makes, so there's no reason for that stopping your wife accessing your phone.

* The battery life on this is phenomenal which is why she picked that phone.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 03:05:42 PM »

@Broadstairs On both phones you can add multiple fingerprints (very useful if you cut your finger and have to put a plaster on it!) which I think would be the same on all makes, so there's no reason for that stopping your wife accessing your phone.

Well it's a great idea except my wife hates technology so I've as much chance of getting her finger print as the Klingon's winning the election!  :lol:

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 03:09:29 PM »

as the Klingon's winning the election!  :lol:

Are they fielding candidates?  I’ve yet to warm to any of the usual ones.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 06:36:00 PM »

Well it's a great idea except my wife hates technology so I've as much chance of getting her finger print as the Klingon's winning the election!  :lol:

Stuart

In my experience with Android even if you use a finger print you still need to have a pin number as a backup.

Both my wife's and my phone are setup with our own finger prints, but we use the pin number to access each others phones.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

anything